Another "which prof is better for LOR" question.

kaister

Sorry guys, I know there are tons of these questions, but I'm in need of advice.

I have all my writers in set for all but one school because I'm also applying to work with one of my LOR writers, I have to find one extra LOR writer (as she obviously can't write a LOR for herself). I'm wondering if it is better to ask:

1) a professor who knows me and my interests very well, in the same University as the one I'm applying to, but in a different field not related at all

OR

2) professor of a class I took where I got an A and talked with a lot about the field I was interested in, but never did any research with, the prof is also in a similar field as the one I'm applying for, is not reliable and hard to get in contact with (meaning, she hasn't responded to two of my previous emails which were not related to LORs).

Any advice much appreciated!!

Is it actually a requirement that you find a different person? When I applied for my MS, the prof I was applying to work with wrote one of my letters of recommendation. The fact that I was applying to her school/department didn't make a difference--it was still the same "I worked with this student for two summers and thus think this student has high research abilities because..." letter that she wrote for my applications to other schools.

In my case, my potential advisor wasn't on the grad admissions committee, however, so if that's the problem in your case I could see how it might be a conflict of interest.

Unfortunately for my situation it is a conflict of interest, my advisor and I already mulled over it and concluded it's probably best I find another writer. But I mean, I can't complain, you can't find a better place to apply than with someone who is already vouching for your success in grad school.

Weird. When I was finishing my MA, I had to reapply to the PhD program, including getting three recommendation letters. Those letters all came from my MA committee, even though one of the committee members was on the application panel and I was applying to work with the same advisor again.

At any rate, based on what you've said, the first professor is the better choice.