University of Arizona

waitinginohio

Anyone else pretty (or completely) sure they'll be going to Tucson in the fall? I've been accepted to their sociology PhD program with 4 years of funding, and unless the other two places that have accepted me decide to offer me any funding, I'll be going to the U of A!

The applied mathematics department hasn't sent out acceptances yet, but I'm visiting them this weekend and I'm really hoping to get in. It's one of my two top picks right now, although I got into the other one already...

I loved it there over the weekend. My other visits will have to work pretty hard to beat that one!

I'm from Binghamton NY and I go to school at William Smith College (ie. Hobart and William Smith Colleges) in Geneva, NY

Hey!!

Its a reference to the band, freaking love them.

I am going to the graduate student orientation, I think it is college wide. http://gpsc.arizona.edu/go

It seems like a great way to meet new grads across different programs... I am a transplant from Memphis, so its going to be a great change to the West Coast. I interviewed in the northeast, and I don't think it comes close both culture (laid back :P) and weather.

I'm about 90% sure that I'm going to Tucson this fall. I'm visiting in two weeks to talk to ppl in the dept and check out the potential living situation. I'm moving with my significant other.. so finding a apt/house and a job for him is important too during the visit... Anyways.. I'm VERY excited! I grew up, went to school, and currently live in Pennsylvania... so to go to a warm place without tons of snow is pretty exciting! definitely complete opposite!

I'm fairly certain I'll be in Tucson - it's my only funded offer so far. I'm still waiting on one more school, and am waitlisted at another, but I think UA's offer is going to be hard to beat. I live in Seattle right now, so the cost of living looks great in Tucson, but I'm a little worried about the heat. :)

Has anyone had a chance to research neighborhoods yet?

I don't have a subscription, but the teaser reads:

To be at the University of Arizona these days is, in some ways, to be under siege.

The flagship university in one of the nation's fastest-growing states may have to eliminate some 600 jobs and merge dozens of programs to deal with two rounds of budget cuts imposed since June....

Can somebody here add in parts that might be relevant to incoming grad students at UA? Also, most state schools are facing serious budget cuts and job eliminations. Does the article give some frame of reference or comparison?

plastic cup

My wife is just finishing her Master's at the U of A (I did mine there from 04-06), and I can tell you, there are some big cuts coming next year. You should definitely contact the university directly and ask about your program. Sadly, as the state legislature is having a hard time passing the budget for next year, it will be after April 15th when the budget is passed and final decisions regarding departmental funding and new fees that could save them. Gov. Brewer did accept the money from President Obama's stimulus program, though as a staunch fiscal conservative (along with a fiscally conservative legislature), it may be used in ways that promote anything but growth in education.

I've gotten a very competitive offer from UofA for the upcoming year from the BME department. I guess it'll just vary by department on the whole funding thing... I got my financial aide letter about a month ago.

I just got back from a week in Tucson, visiting the university, and absolutely loved it! I'm soo excited to go there in a few months! Now its just figuring out where to live.. and then actually move! eek..

• 1 month later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use