Chances of getting off a waitlist

krsmarie

I applied for the MS of Speech Langauge Pathology at Tennessee State University. It took them 4 months to make a decision, but I am #8 on the waitlist :( What are the chances that people actually decline their offers. I am really anxious. I spent a lot of money and 2 years taking the prerequisites for this program. I met all the requirements for grades. I am in my 30's and settled with 2 kids, so don't have the ability to move and apply other places. What are the odds other reject their spot? This was for their distance program starting in the January. I guess my backup plan is to apply for their on campus program starting in the fall, but I really wanted the distance program so I could be near my kids more....please let me know your experiences with being on a waitlist for a specific subject like this. I have a BS in Business from Murray State, and took 21 hours of prerequisite course, I seriously have no idea what I'll do if I don't get in :(

• 3 weeks later...

I would still apply to their campus program as well. In the mean time, see if there are any distance programs in the vicinity that you can apply to. I have a friend who was waitlisted for a counseling program at TCNJ and finally made it in, but its nervewracking.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want online SLP programs, James Madison U in VA does an online program, and East Carolina U (NC) does an online program. Also, USC (Columbia) does an online program for SLP. Check if there are any other online programs you'd be interested in (maybe Ohio State or Utah State?). Most programs will work with you on clinical placements within your geographical area. According to USC when I visited them, I asked about waitlisting (etc) -- and they said that their wait-list is like many other university programs (for both their on campus and online degrees). Basically, the "cream of the crop" will get admission offers first, and after those folks decide where they're going, they'll be able to go down the wait-list, which they OFTEN do. So, don't give up hope on your TSU program. I'm also doing the pre-req's for this SLP grad program because I'm considered out of field (have a B.Music in performance and a M.A.T. in music ed K-12), and have spent a LOT of money on the pre-req's as well.

Best of luck, and try not to be too nervous! :-)

• 2 months later...

Just a thought to add. I went to Utah State for my post-bacc. in Speech Path. I went through the application process for grad school for 2012. Got 3 rejections. My GPA is 3.4, GRE scores are 300 with a 4.5 writing. I too can only do online classes, so I applied to Cal State Northridge, University of Montana, Idaho State. This year I applied to East Carolina and University of Montana. Rejected from East Carolina and still waiting to hear from U. of Montana.  I am not holding my breath, as the other post noted, they take the "cream of the crop" at 3.8 and above GPA before they consider my lowly scores. It is too bad they dont look at experience (7 years as an SLPA, and 2 as a conditionally certified SLP in Washington). It is a numbers game, so I am going back and retaking classes that I got a "B' in.  As I noted in my application to the schools, I don't give up. Best wishes to everyone!

I can't answer your question, but I thought I'd write to say that we are almost in the same boat. I applied to only 1 school for MS in Speech Language Pathology and I am waiting to hear back. I applied to the distance program and since I have a family as well I can't just apply anywhere. Good luck to you! I hope we both get in =) I figure if I don't get accepted I will work on increasing my volunteer hours and apply again next year.

• 2 months later...

Update: I never got off the waitlist for the distance program, but I reapplied Feb 1 for on campus admission and got in for Fall 2013, but I'm starting classes June 3rd! Not the distance program, but still super excited!