Mechanical Engineering 2009

lightyears

what do you mean 20/500? what exactly is that number, and where did you get that?

Getting MS alone isn't an option anymore at Cornell, i've heard... It's either Ph.D directly, or M.Eng.

Not true. I applied as an MS/PhD to Cornell. I didn't want to bother with M.Eng. I wanted (A) the lower tuition rate and (B) research.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. I applied as an MS/PhD to Cornell. I didn't want to bother with M.Eng. I wanted (A) the lower tuition rate and (B) research.

what's not true?

Admitting to MS is only granted to students with "very rare" situations, and they don't accept students for MS alone anymore. Quoted from the faculty directly.

20/500 means 500 applicants for 20 places...

So this is the official number for MS admission?

Where did you get this?

According to the US News report, for ME the acceptance rate of Cornell is close to 20% (if i remember correctly) and not 4% as you indicated above.. That number's way too low. I really really wanna know where you got this number.

I applied to Cornell MS. This is the email I got from them:

"I am sorry that Cornell University is not able to offer you admission for

the Fall of 2009. We had nearly 500 applications for an incoming class of

around 20 so the competition was extremely high. I hope that you are able

to find a program that fits your needs and wish you the best for the

upcoming year."

You see it on the results search as well. What's so hard to get?

I just got that Cornell rejection too. They said they had 500 apps for 20 spots for their Ph.D. program, and that they couldn't offer me admission to that, but were willing to offer me admission to the M.Eng. program.

So this is the official number for MS admission?

Where did you get this?

According to the US News report, for ME the acceptance rate of Cornell is close to 20% (if i remember correctly) and not 4% as you indicated above.. That number's way too low. I really really wanna know where you got this number.

The US News Report data is based on trends in the past several years. This year won't fall within those trends, since so many more engineers are applying for grad school with the rough economic state.

Even considering the economy, though, 4% seems really low.

I got into my choice program for an MSME without funding. I'm getting more excited about pursuing a research path and thinking more seriously about getting a PhD. How hard is it to transition to a PhD program after being admitted into a Masters program. Do I have to re-apply or can I just take the qualifying exam/maintain the Phd GPA?

just got a super late MS acceptance to Ann Arbor. No funding though.

i'm thinking I was on the waitlist, and they accepted me because some people with offers have declined.

They just declined me. haha. Oh well, I had ruled them out anyway.

Anyone hear from Johns Hopkins yet? I applied there and it is really the last one I care about, so I would kind of like to hear from them... =/

I got into my choice program for an MSME without funding. I'm getting more excited about pursuing a research path and thinking more seriously about getting a PhD. How hard is it to transition to a PhD program after being admitted into a Masters program. Do I have to re-apply or can I just take the qualifying exam/maintain the Phd GPA?

I think it really depends on the school. Some schools have different paths for MS-only and MS-PhD, while others only have just one MS path, and some schools directly draft PhD students.