Emailing a Prospect Phd Advisor

Sury

Dear all,

I have seen multiple treads on this. However it's still not clear for me how you should write the email contacting a Professor. Some say you should mention your grades and GRE but I have seen multiple articles saying that it's something you shouldn't do.

I came up with a template can you help me to improve it?

Dear Prof. XXXX ,

My name is XXXX and I am applying to the PhD program in [subject] at [University] for fall [Year].

After reviewing the faculty profile I was drawn to your work and current research interests. I have long been interested in the [XXX]. [WHY THIS AREA]. My research experience lies in [the research experience].

I was then wondering if you will be accepting new graduate students for fall [xxx]. If so, I would love to hear more about your work I would also be happy to tell you more about myself and my background.

Thanks very much for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

I wouldn't add anything about your GRE scores or GPA, but I would give more info about your research background and explain your research interests so it's clear how he/she fits as an advisor. And I don't know if I would admit up front that the only thing you know about them is from the faculty profile. Whether it's true or not, let them think you are familiar with their publications/work. You don't need to reference them specifically, but more like, "I'm familiar with your work on blah blah blah (published) and your current research on blah blah blah (from faculty page)." Your template is good, but it kind of sounds like you're holding your own background info hostage, and you need to give them more on what you hope to work on and your experience (maybe work experience in your field) to "hook" them.

I wouldn't add anything about your GRE scores or GPA, but I would give more info about your research background and explain your research interests so it's clear how he/she fits as an advisor. And I don't know if I would admit up front that the only thing you know about them is from the faculty profile. Whether it's true or not, let them think you are familiar with their publications/work. You don't need to reference them specifically, but more like, "I'm familiar with your work on blah blah blah (published) and your current research on blah blah blah (from faculty page)." Your template is good, but it kind of sounds like you're holding your own background info hostage, and you need to give them more on what you hope to work on and your experience (maybe work experience in your field) to "hook" them.

Thank you BearCat1for your advices.

I agree with you and I wanted to include more information about my research experience however I was concerned because I read some people saying that you shouldn't add too much information for the first email (the first email should be short)?

Edited by Sury

Thank you BearCat1for your advices.

I agree with you and I wanted to include more information about my research experience however I was concerned because I read some people saying that you shouldn't add too much information for the first email (the first email should be short)?

Mine were all about 400 words total. I don't think you should go on and on about yourself or your interests, but definitely give them enough info to know why you are approaching them, and also to know if they are interested in what you want to work on. Good luck!

Seconded:

You want to provide a brief overview of why you're into them and give them enough info that they'll be able to figure out if they're interested in you. You DON'T want to send them a block of imposing text because they likely won't read it -- your email should take, at most, a couple of minutes to read.

Edited by SlickMcFavorite