Really just "Thank You" and move on?

rockbender

Hey guys, Sorry for another email question. I know these aren't very popular... but

I got some pretty generic emails from profs, the standard "sure apply to our program, you could be a good applicant." I know the proper etiquette is to respond to these emails in some fashion, but I have no idea what to say. Is it really just "Thank you" and that's it? As in

Hi Professor Monkeys,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I look forward to submitting my application in January.

Sincerely,

rockbender

That feels a little abrupt, but I don't know how to pad it with (meaningless) niceties. I don't have any specific questions for these people, as they said that their lab groups were full but I should apply to the geochem group at large. Their emails were very short and didn't really encourage further communication. Any advice?

I would reply with a thank you. I did this for one prof email, and he actually emailed me back AGAIN saying good luck with my applications. I didn't respond to that email though -- I just let it go at that point.

A "thank you" is just manners, really. You initiated the convo so you should end it too.

I always worry that they will be annoyed by such content-less responses, but at the same time it is the polite thing to do... I think in the CHE forum discussion, the situation is even trickier - since the prof gave a negative response, I don't know if that really qualifies for a response. I guess that would depend on the tone. BUT since my emails were generally positive (though not enthusiastic) I think I will respond with a thank you after all. I'll get on that now!

Thanks everyone for the help! :)

Related to Eigen's post, here is a link that I found at the bottom of every email I received from a prof (it was part of their signature): http://www.emailcharter.org/index.html

Personally, I don't agree, since a "pointless" thank you email is the electronic equivalent of saying "hi how are you?" to someone you pass in the hallway. It seems like the charter does not believe that email is a real form of communication -- that it's something we have to do. But for me, email is my preferred form of communication -- I'd much rather e.g. email my dentist to set up an appointment, book a tennis court at the gym, ask the bookstore if they have X in stock, etc. than pick up my phone and call!

Maybe it's a difference between people who have grown up in the digital instant-communication age of emails/texts/etc. and those who grew up using more "traditional" forms of communication. That might be an oversimplification though! So maybe as our generation move up into faculty positions, our stances on "email etiquette" might change!

Related to Eigen's post, here is a link that I found at the bottom of every email I received from a prof (it was part of their signature): http://www.emailcharter.org/index.html

Personally, I don't agree, since a "pointless" thank you email is the electronic equivalent of saying "hi how are you?" to someone you pass in the hallway. It seems like the charter does not believe that email is a real form of communication -- that it's something we have to do. But for me, email is my preferred form of communication -- I'd much rather e.g. email my dentist to set up an appointment, book a tennis court at the gym, ask the bookstore if they have X in stock, etc. than pick up my phone and call!

Maybe it's a difference between people who have grown up in the digital instant-communication age of emails/texts/etc. and those who grew up using more "traditional" forms of communication. That might be an oversimplification though! So maybe as our generation move up into faculty positions, our stances on "email etiquette" might change!

AGREED. I 100% prefer email over phone calls, especially for mundane things like ordering a pizza etc.

I can understand why the prof would include that in his signature, but it does come off rude (IMO).