Planning to visit UCLA weekend of March 14th

Pielet

I am planning to go check out the campus on the weekend of the 14th and meet potential advisors. I'm coming from New York... I've never been to LA before... Can anyone please advise me on a good hotel to stay near the campus? I will not be driving so I'd like to take a cab from the airport directly to the campus and spend the day checking it out.

Any advise on how to make the most out of my visit will be most welcome.

Thanks.

2 recommendations:

(1) Cabs will be quite expensive. Consider: http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=292 (the shuttle from LAX to Westwood drops you off on the periphery of the UCLA campus and is $5)

(2) There is an on-campus hotel http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCL ... 8443a4RCRD It may already be booked if there is a large visiting weekend going on, but it's worth a shot.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

I know there is a hotel called W exactly a block from campus, but it can get kind of pricey.

If you want to go directly from the airport, I suggest you take the FLYAWAY shuttle from LAX to UCLA-Westwood which is $5 per trip and it comes every half an hour. (better than paying $30 something not factoring in traffic...). The shuttle stops in front of the UCLA's Kinross Building in Westwood. If you go across the street, there is a UCLA campus shuttle that takes you directly to the main campus and it's free for everyone. I don't know which department you will be visiting, but if you can check out which building it is in beforehand, you can just ask the shuttle driver or any students where is the closest stop.

UCLA has a beautiful campus and I hope you have a great time visiting...

I was planning on doing this, but I haven't heard back yet about travel reimbursement. One professor I spoke with said up to $500 for out of state students, but I cannot find this in writing any where. Does anyone happen to know?

I was planning on doing this, but I haven't heard back yet about travel reimbursement. One professor I spoke with said up to $500 for out of state students, but I cannot find this in writing any where. Does anyone happen to know?

You can stay in the UCLA guest house. $144 per night. Its a bit expensive, but certainly convenient. My department is paying for one night in the guest house and my domestic flight, as well as some local transportation I believe.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I think I'll take the shuttle from the airport and stay at one of the hotels in the vicinity of the campus.

Inspekt, I was told the same thing about reimbursement. I'm going to be doing the social research methodology department (GSE&IS). I'm hoping that they will reimburse me either during or after the event.

Good luck!

Yay UCLA! I did my undergrad there. There aren't really many hotels near by. There's the oncampus hotel that was mentioned above, and there is a W Hotel in Westwood. Other than that, your best bet is somewhere in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or somewhere around there. Cabs are expensive and hard to find- better off renting a car. You'll need it anyway to get around LA. Much cheaper than the Super Shuttle! Let me know if you have any other questions.