Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

Buffalo is a seriously ugly city to live in. Kind of Detroit-esque. My dad's from there.

As always, thank you for your positive, constructive comment. I have spent a good deal of time in Buffalo. It is what you make of it. There are some amazing museums, great architecture, unique coffee shops, and the arts are fairly vibrant for a depressed city. If you're willing to look for it, it's there.

Just my opinion... from visiting my grandma there many times over the years. As always, there's no need to get mad at me for having an opinion that differs from yours. How is it any different than calling New Haven a "shit-hole"? I didn't see any downvotes on that comment. I guess it's just more acceptable to bash Yale...

Edited by giuyuighjjhf78f67f

Just my opinion... from visiting my grandma there many times over the years. As always, there's no need to get mad at me for having an opinion that differs from yours. How is it any different than calling New Haven a "shit-hole"? I didn't see any downvotes on that comment. I guess it's just more acceptable to bash Yale...

As I recall, the "New Haven is a shit-hole" comment was someone quoting a professor of theirs, not stating their opinion. Also, it was in the context of places that we've all heard of as being less than welcoming. The problem isn't that you said Buffalo is ugly; it's that it added nothing to the current discussion, isn't about the program at all, and basically reads like an attempt to start yet another argument. I've also heard that Buffalo is ugly, but I, and many others here, haven't let that deter me from applying. And like every location, it has some amazing things about it, their PhD program not withstanding.

I'm not trying to start an argument. Merely stating my opinion of Buffalo. Hopefully everyone will get the chance to visit and judge for themselves before decided whether or not to attend.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

anyhoo, back to the thread.

I had to contact some schools to clarify some things today, and there were a couple of things I found out that I thought might help other folks:

Purdue: the graduate school site and online application say SOPs need to be 300-500 words, but I checked with the Grad English Admin who said that they have no limit --> so you can disregard that 500 word limit on the grad school site/online app.

BU: if you're using Interfolio, don't use the email notification option for your LORs. In the BU application online, list your recommenders as submitting their recommendations via PAPER. Then go to the Interfolio site and use the "manual" delivery process, select the BU Grad Arts&Sci, electronic delivery.

I hope that helps!

Buffalo is a seriously ugly city to live in. Kind of Detroit-esque. My dad's from there.

Shitting on Detroit is lazy. Especially since it's not an ugly city at all. It's impoverished (and, yes, primarily non-white) because of some ugly post-wwii red-lining policies and the collapse of the auto industry but it has a lot to offer culturally. Eastern Michigan has phenomenal microbreweries, museums, a bunch of lakes, great food, and the Tigers.

Sorry guys, I shouldn't respond, I know. But nothing gets to me quite like Detroit-related ignorance.

Shitting on Detroit is lazy. Especially since it's not an ugly city at all. It's impoverished (and, yes, primarily non-white) because of some ugly post-wwii red-lining policies and the collapse of the auto industry but it has a lot to offer culturally. Eastern Michigan has phenomenal microbreweries, museums, a bunch of lakes, great food, and the Tigers.

Sorry guys, I shouldn't respond, I know. But nothing gets to me quite like Detroit-related ignorance.

I'm with you. I did my undergrad at a very tiny University in Michigan and I quickly became a fan. In fact, I really wouldn't mind going back there, (*prayer to the University of Michigan adcomm gods*) even with the horrendous lake-effect snow.

It's good to have affection for less popular places. Fewer apply there, fewer accept their spots, so you have a greater chance of getting in. That could even be an entire admissions strategy. Apply to programs in the coldest climates, highest crime neighborhoods, most remote areas, etc.

I'm seriously about to have words with UVA about their writing sample requirement. Why couldn't they just ask for 15-30 pages like a reasonable person? With my primary sample clocking in at 22 pages, I'm going to have to make it shorter and find another 5 page paper somewhere. Plus it has to be mailed? Yeesh.

[stuff about Buffalo]

[i'm editing this post because the one about potential adcoms reading this forum and connecting the dots got to me. I know, I know, it's unlikely, but now I'm a little worried about posting anything bashing a potential school, even if it the city it's located in a less-than desirable town.]

I'm not considering the location of where I want to apply that much so it doesn't hurt my feelings to point out that the school I want to go to is in a less than desirable city. Not all of us get to go to Santa Barbara or Columbia. I'm pretty much applying to every school outside of Michigan that has the highest snowfall and 3 good months of weather a year. I don't think the town has much of an effect on my education. And have I mentioned that I already live in a shithole of a town? So I'm kinda used to it.

(Or is it "an affect"? I can never get those right.)

Edited by rems

Rems: It's "effect" because affect when used as a noun means an emotion.

I admire everyone for being able to forgo the comforts of location. I personally can't do that without devastating psychological effects (affects would work here too). I'm only applying to programs in places where I would be able to enjoy spending 5-7 years of my youth. Places with good weather, beautiful diverse cities, places near family and friends, places on the coasts, in areas where I could see myself settling down long-term and perhaps raising a family. I even chose universities in which the campuses themselves gave me good vibes -- pretty and well-maintained architecture, a feeling of intellectual vibrance, a friendly studen body, enough women and minorities in each department, etc. I guess that makes me the outlier in this group of posters. I still feel as though I made the right choice for me, and I admire everyone who makes their own choices, ones that they can be satisfied with and proud of, no matter what anyone else tells them to do.

My goal is to be both happy and productive for the duration of my doctoral program. I believe these two things are deeply intertwined with each other. I know that for me setting plays a big role.

I am thinking about location a lot these days. I have lived in California my entire life; I have never had a snowy winter or a humid summer. I have always lived within fifteen minutes of the Pacific Ocean. FIFTEEN MINUTES. My family lives here, as does my husband's. And I didn't apply to a single school in California because, quiet simply, there are no good rhet/comp programs here.

So this PhD application process is about more than entering academia for me; it's about a radical shift in lifestyle. My husband has had the same, stable, well-paying job for eight years (his college internship turned into a full-time position upon graduation), and he'll have to get a new job wherever we move. We are both looking forward to this adventure, this newness in life and location, but we are also a bit anxious about what it means to be away from family and (for me) away from the big, beautiful Pacific Ocean. Still, overall, I am absolutely thrilled to try out something new-- I've always wondered what it's like to live in a swing state during election time!

I've been wondering about UM/Ann Arbor. I'm very much a city girl and most of my applications are to big city universities...how is it at Michigan? I know there are a lot of students so I'm guessing that makes it feel bigger? Is it easy to travel to nearby big cities? Maybe I'm completely wrong and Ann Arbor is considered a big city. I really know very little about the area.

Rems: It's "effect" because affect when used as a noun means an emotion.

Thanks!

Actually, I like snow so being cold and snowy is really good for me. I've actually been concerned that if by some rat's chance in hell I actually get into Stanford, I'd have to get rid of half my wardrobe because it'll be warm. I know, poor whittle me so sad bout gettin into Stanford (which I haven't and probably won't, might I add), but I have, like, A LOT of sweaters. Like, a lot.

Thanks!

Actually, I like snow so being cold and snowy is really good for me. I've actually been concerned that if by some rat's chance in hell I actually get into Stanford, I'd have to get rid of half my wardrobe because it'll be warm. I know, poor whittle me so sad bout gettin into Stanford (which I haven't and probably won't, might I add), but I have, like, A LOT of sweaters. Like, a lot.

I've been knitting non-stop for the past four months. God help me if I get into Vanderbilt. (Most of my apps are distributed such that I won't have to give up on my winters and warm wooly things. It actually makes Vanderbilt pretty special. I am willing to give up my snow for them.)

I hate to ask this, but I have a Harvard question *holds up shield to protect self from rotten tomatoes being flung in her direction*.

I did not get a confirmation e-mail when I submitted (two days ago after the GRE scores came out). Nothing. Thoughts from others who have submitted?

I've been wondering about UM/Ann Arbor. I'm very much a city girl and most of my applications are to big city universities...how is it at Michigan? I know there are a lot of students so I'm guessing that makes it feel bigger? Is it easy to travel to nearby big cities? Maybe I'm completely wrong and Ann Arbor is considered a big city. I really know very little about the area.

Ahhhh, this is the perfect time to ask questions about A2 because I am sooooo procrastinate-y right now.

Population is roughly 120,000, which is the amount of people that the Big House holds, and it's really not a big city by any stretch of the imagination. There aren't really nearby big cities. Travel into Detroit is not terribly challenging, there are buses. It's really rough to get to Lansing. Toledo's not far. Canada's accessible. But, other than getting to Ypsi or Detroit or around the city itself, there is no public transportation. Michigan is all about the car. Ann Arbor is like some weird hybrid of an attempt to be a big city and an attempt to be a small, quirky town. (And kind of fails at both.) Main St has restaurants that pretend to be posh but the best food is on campus (also: Zingerman's). There're good theaters and then there's the Art Fair (the worst week of the year) and a farmer's market over in Kerrytown (Kerrytown is great) but the markets in Ypsi are better. The bars in the area are pretty great and, as I mentioned, Michigan's microbreweries are really amazing. Ann Arbor in the summer is really quiet and feels like a small Michigan town. We're really into our squirrels, if that says anything.

Ahhhh, this is the perfect time to ask questions about A2 because I am sooooo procrastinate-y right now.

Population is roughly 120,000, which is the amount of people that the Big House holds, and it's really not a big city by any stretch of the imagination. There aren't really nearby big cities. Travel into Detroit is not terribly challenging, there are buses. It's really rough to get to Lansing. Toledo's not far. Canada's accessible. But, other than getting to Ypsi or Detroit or around the city itself, there is no public transportation. Michigan is all about the car. Ann Arbor is like some weird hybrid of an attempt to be a big city and an attempt to be a small, quirky town. (And kind of fails at both.) Main St has restaurants that pretend to be posh but the best food is on campus (also: Zingerman's). There're good theaters and then there's the Art Fair (the worst week of the year) and a farmer's market over in Kerrytown (Kerrytown is great) but the markets in Ypsi are better. The bars in the area are pretty great and, as I mentioned, Michigan's microbreweries are really amazing. Ann Arbor in the summer is really quiet and feels like a small Michigan town. We're really into our squirrels, if that says anything.

Thanks! I love beer. Hate driving. But good to know :)