Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

Hey, Buffalo applicants - did you ever receive an e-mail confirming that your application had been submitted? I don't seem to have one. All I can find is a receipt for the $75 fee, an e-mail from when my application was started, and e-mails stating that my LORs have been submitted (and I can only find 2 of these, though Interfolio assures me 3 were sent). I hope I'm not the only one missing this confirmation... ?

Edited by asleepawake

Hey, Buffalo applicants - did you ever receive an e-mail confirming that your application had been submitted? I don't seem to have one. All I can find is a receipt for the $75 fee, an e-mail from when my application was started, and e-mails stating that my LORs have been submitted (and I can only find 2 of these, though Interfolio assures me 3 were sent). I hope I'm not the only one missing this confirmation... ?

Yes, I received one. It tells me to pay the fee, and then the fee one tells me to submit the app. I assume, all things considered, that everything is covered. It also took about four days for my third recommender's letter to show up on their interface when I received an email from Buffalo saying it had been received. I'm not totally convinced of the reliability of their computer system... Might not be anything to worry about. 

How does the "Status" tab of Buffalo's app read? Mine didn't read that they'd "Received" anything until after I submitted. I'm talking about where it lists things as "Rec'vd." If that lists states that everything was officially "Rec'vd," you probably have nothing to worry about. 

Of course, I don't know any of this to be a fact, but I figure if they received everything you're probably okay. Also, my app changed to "Read Only" after submission. Just FYI. 

Thank you! I couldn't log in to the site, but I realized I just forgot that I changed my password. Duh. It looks like the application is okay, including "marked complete by the applicant." I just never got the final e-mail. Relief!

Edited by asleepawake

Like rems, I also received an "application submitted" email.  But I basically second everything rems said above: nothing to worry about if everything is listed as having been received.

To echo a similar concern, though, my application is listed as "incomplete" on the Penn application homepage, despite the fact that everything listed underneath--LORs, application fee, transcripts, GRE scores, etc.-- is labeled "received" or "submitted."  Does anyone else who applied to Penn see something similar, or are your application statuses marked as "complete"?

Like rems, I also received an "application submitted" email.  But I basically second everything rems said above: nothing to worry about if everything is listed as having been received.

To echo a similar concern, though, my application is listed as "incomplete" on the Penn application homepage, despite the fact that everything listed underneath--LORs, application fee, transcripts, GRE scores, etc.-- is labeled "received" or "submitted."  Does anyone else who applied to Penn see something similar, or are your application statuses marked as "complete"?

Last I checked, not marked as complete. I was planning on not worrying about it too much.

I think I am going to apply to Georgia State. I keep hearing some really good things about their program from people who have been there or have contacts there. They seem to have some good people in the Rhet/Comm area.

No real question. Unless anyone has any insights or has heard anything about their rhet/comm program I should know.

Just checked--mine's listed as incomplete, too (but everything has been received).

Has anyone applying to U of Maryland had trouble accessing their application ( after it was submitted)?  I got the we received your app etc stuff but now when I try to check on status I cannot sign in. Anyone else having this problem?

This is a really stupid question, but could anyone post the link/tell me how to actually log back in to the ASF? The only things I can find in my confirmation e-mails are links to the main application. I know I'm probably just missing something obvious, but... help.

Inspired by asleepawake's awesomeness (also nervous energy), I put together a notification calendar for us rhetoric & composition folks. I don't know how to create wikis, so this is a public google doc with two sheets (one list, one graphic). Please feel free to add to it or correct any errors! :) 

Inspired by asleepawake's awesomeness (also nervous energy), I put together a notification calendar for us rhetoric & composition folks. I don't know how to create wikis, so this is a public google doc with two sheets (one list, one graphic). Please feel free to add to it or correct any errors! :)

Awesome! Yours is more organized than mine :)

One of my recommenders is having a problem uploading his letter to Penn State. He said he uploaded it and received confirmation, but on my end it says not received. For my 2 other recommenders, it does say received. This professor is very on top of things, so I am wondering if anyone else knows of their recommenders having problems with Penn State? I will try to get in touch with them on Monday, but I am not sure anyone will be in the office.

Does anyone have the mailing address for the University of Rochester. I need to have my undergraduate ins. send my transcript but I cannot find the correct ( transcript) address anywhere on the site and no one is answering or returning my calls. Should I send it to the general grad school office? 

I sent mine to the address listed in the following:

All written inquiries should be directed to: The Director of Graduate Study, the Department of English, The University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 14627-0451 (phone: 585-275-4092).

One of my recommenders is having a problem uploading his letter to Penn State. He said he uploaded it and received confirmation, but on my end it says not received. For my 2 other recommenders, it does say received. This professor is very on top of things, so I am wondering if anyone else knows of their recommenders having problems with Penn State? I will try to get in touch with them on Monday, but I am not sure anyone will be in the office.

I've just had the same problem, so perhaps a technical fault. It doesn't happen to be the middle reference as it appears on the 'check status' page, does it?

Wait, actually, I think Rochester had me upload transcripts to the website. 

Yes, Rochester wants uploaded official transcripts. However, I don't have any official transcripts. So my only option is to send them directly to the school. Thanks for the information about the director of graduate studies, that's a phone number I haven't tried.