The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Got rejection from NYU....

Would have preferred UPenn anyways.

But what do they mean "We know that many students to whom we are not able to offer admission are accepted into other excellent programs and we trust you have received positive responses from other schools to which you applied." could they possibly be saying that to everyone!

or did they find out from other universities?

Anyways congrats to the guys who made it!

I just got my last rejection today. What a heartbreaking experience.

I agree. Plus I have to say I am super confused about the process and the criteria. I am an international student who went to a selective liberal arts college in the US and I have gotten accepted to a few wonderful MA programs in Europe. But no luck with PhD programs in the US. The part that confuses me is that I don't think there is anything really missing from my application, except maybe publications. I have good grades, GRE scores etc. as well as 1 1/2 years of research experience in the area I want to work in and a lot of independent project work in education and the development sector.  

I guess I don't really know how to make my application stronger. Get an MA first? get published? Go about the SOP differently?

Is there any way that the lovely people who have gotten lots of offers could tell me a little about their background to help me figure out a strategy for next year?

I would really appreicate it! :)

snowflakes - I'd say go for an MA. I think from my experience that having a Masters definitely put me over and into admissions. & not for just having one, rather, I really grew as a scientist during my Masters & was really able to figure out what I wanted out of research/a PhD. I think I was a pretty strong candidate prior to my MA, but based on my interviews and what not, it was the research and skills gained in my MA that I was questioned about most. Also, it's a lot about WHO you know, which is always the case (unfortunately/fortunately depending on who you know!). For example, my PhD POI got his PhD where I got my Masters and so he personally knew the people who wrote my reference letters. Lastly, were you in contact with your POIs? I think that really helped me as we e-mailed a lot back & forth from October until February when admissions were made. These are just my experiences - I applied to 3, rejected from 2 and accepted to 1 (which was my top choice so it worked out!). But I think it was all the small things (communication, network) + being the strongest candidate I could be by already having my Masters + the fit of the research interests of me & my POI that made me more competitive than I would have been strictly on paper. Good luck!

Edited by mp429

snowflakes - I'd say go for an MA. I think from my experience that having a Masters definitely put me over and into admissions. & not for just having one, rather, I really grew as a scientist during my Masters & was really able to figure out what I wanted out of research/a PhD. I think I was a pretty strong candidate prior to my MA, but based on my interviews and what not, it was the research and skills gained in my MA that I was questioned about most. Also, it's a lot about WHO you know, which is always the case (unfortunately/fortunately depending on who you know!). For example, my PhD POI got his PhD where I got my Masters and so he personally knew the people who wrote my reference letters. Lastly, were you in contact with your POIs? I think that really helped me as we e-mailed a lot back & forth from October until February when admissions were made. These are just my experiences - I applied to 3, rejected from 2 and accepted to 1 (which was my top choice so it worked out!). But I think it was all the small things (communication, network) + being the strongest candidate I could be by already having my Masters + the fit of the research interests of me & my POI that made me more competitive than I would have been strictly on paper. Good luck!

Thank you so much mp429 that was really helpful. I will definitely go for an MA, especially because I am actually getting funding for at least one program, and then reapply in a year or two. All the best with your PhD:)

I agree. Plus I have to say I am super confused about the process and the criteria. I am an international student who went to a selective liberal arts college in the US and I have gotten accepted to a few wonderful MA programs in Europe. But no luck with PhD programs in the US. The part that confuses me is that I don't think there is anything really missing from my application, except maybe publications. I have good grades, GRE scores etc. as well as 1 1/2 years of research experience in the area I want to work in and a lot of independent project work in education and the development sector.  

I guess I don't really know how to make my application stronger. Get an MA first? get published? Go about the SOP differently?

Is there any way that the lovely people who have gotten lots of offers could tell me a little about their background to help me figure out a strategy for next year?

I would really appreicate it! :)

Hi!

I must admit I know very little about the whole applications thing, but here are a few thoughts.

I would evaluate MA applications and PhD applications very differently.

I would say the most important thing for phd application is show capability to do original work.

Raise new questions, find a new area of research, prpose a new way of looking at it...of course not just for the heck of it but...only where required.

I have very poor grades and ok recos, and no background in the subject at all.....but I was told that my SoP was original. I am not talking about well crafted sentences and perfect grammar etc..the thoughts expressed.

Sorry to state the obvious, but these things are overlooked sometimes. So the one constructive suggestion that I can give is: have your SoP read by as many people as possible!

The second important thing is targeting you apps correctly...I know because many of mine were mistargeted.

Please be sure that the people reading your proposal are interested in the topic and area ou propose to work on.....and btw did you get god responses from the people PoIs?? An excellent SoP would be a waste if it does not meet the right people.

Thirdly, some schools and profs are willing to give feedback on applications..please make use of this.

By all means do an MA and get published or just get published!

Publications are usually a good indication that you can undertake quality research...though I have none! they are an impressive adition to any CV.

Also after an MA you will be judged as someone who has an MA...you are expected to show more familiarity with the subject and your MA grades will matter more.

But is also shows you committment to the discipline.

All the best!

Regards,

Hi!

I must admit I know very little about the whole applications thing, but here are a few thoughts.

I would evaluate MA applications and PhD applications very differently.

I would say the most important thing for phd application is show capability to do original work.

Raise new questions, find a new area of research, prpose a new way of looking at it...of course not just for the heck of it but...only where required.

I have very poor grades and ok recos, and no background in the subject at all.....but I was told that my SoP was original. I am not talking about well crafted sentences and perfect grammar etc..the thoughts expressed.

Sorry to state the obvious, but these things are overlooked sometimes. So the one constructive suggestion that I can give is: have your SoP read by as many people as possible!

The second important thing is targeting you apps correctly...I know because many of mine were mistargeted.

Please be sure that the people reading your proposal are interested in the topic and area ou propose to work on.....and btw did you get god responses from the people PoIs?? An excellent SoP would be a waste if it does not meet the right people.

Thirdly, some schools and profs are willing to give feedback on applications..please make use of this.

By all means do an MA and get published or just get published!

Publications are usually a good indication that you can undertake quality research...though I have none! they are an impressive adition to any CV.

Also after an MA you will be judged as someone who has an MA...you are expected to show more familiarity with the subject and your MA grades will matter more.

But is also shows you committment to the discipline.

All the best!

Regards,

I have to say I completely agree with kphd's comment that "an excellent sop would be a waste if it does not meet the right people."  i think tailoring my application to express how i would "fit" (a fuzzy thing, i know) at certain places was the key difference between utter failure last round and acceptances this round.  i was able to find out about this fit by contacting professors and grad students themselves, which not only gets your name in front of them but also (more importantly i think) gives you a sense of the priorities/emphasis/atmosphere etc. of the department.

hello: i am an international applicant who was just rejected for the second time from all the programs where i applied. i have an MTS at harvard divinity school and there is where i grew interested in medical/social anthropology. the fact of being rejected for the second time from all the 8 programs where i applied makes me think that there must be something missing in my application. i have publications, although the majority is in hispanic literature area because i did my undergrad, i have research experience and i won a traveling fellowship 2 years ago, i also have presented different papers in conferences but what i lack is an MA in anthropology. i dont know if that is what is withholding me from getting accepted into a program in the us. i am pretty sure that programs in medical anthro are very competitive so maybe applying to big schools is a long shot and i am not aware of that. i also wrote to the professors of the different schools were i applied and they all recomended me to apply to their program but at the end nothing worked. i have friends that have been admitted into top schools without an MA in anthro, but i dont know why its being so difficult for me. i would appreciate if someone could give me some advice or recomendations on how to be a stronger candidate. would an MA work? more research? more publications? at the end, what do the persons who got admitted into top programs like upenn or harvard did to be good candidates that were taken into consideration for admission? thank you!

Zch, contact the programs you applied to and ask for feedback on your application. It's possible your app is fine and you're just applying to the wrong places. It might also be that you lack a formal background. The programs will tell you what, exactly, it is.

Hey guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But I wrote to a Professor at Columbia and she said that the graduate class has already been admitted and doesn’t know why GSAS hasn’t sent out the letters as yet.   

Of course, you could still be pleasantly surprised. But I would recommend that you don’t get your hopes up. 

I did the same thing yesterday. Other people who haven't gotten official responses - did it take ages for the GSAS to find your GRE scores? I'm thinking that had something to do with it.

Hey guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But I wrote to a Professor at Columbia and she said that the graduate class has already been admitted and doesn’t know why GSAS hasn’t sent out the letters as yet.   

Of course, you could still be pleasantly surprised. But I would recommend that you don’t get your hopes up. 

I haven't got an official response either. In fact I wrote to GSAS and got no response from them. But I was feeling very anxious about keeping the other schools waiting, especially since I am in regular contact with the POI at those schools. So I wrote to a Prof at Columbia, who informed me that the class had been admitted and was surprised that all the letters have not gone out informing applicants of their status.

I have no idea why GSAS hasn't informed me of the results as yet and yes, they did update my GRE and Toefl scores around the 20th of March. But I don't understand what difference my GRE score would have made if I was already rejected from the department? I think they might offer us an M.A, but I cannot be sure and personally it makes no difference to me. Either way, I was really disappointed by the lack of responsibility towards their applicants. 

A friend who applied two years ago had the same experience. He was kept waiting until the end of the month and then rejected.

Apparently they do this year.

It raises serious doubts about the whole process....they charge $105, the least we deserve is a proper review of the app!!

• 3 weeks later...

So I just got into the MA program in Soc. Anth. at Columbia instead of the PhD program and am now trying to decide whether its worth trying to get funding for that. I also got into Oxford and funding for that is much more realistic because I am a EU citizen and my country has a few options for people who want to study in the UK.  So, any input, is the Columbia MA worth it?

Is it realistic to find funding for a US MA if you're an international student? How does Columbia compare to Oxford in terms of your fit with the program? I'm tempted to tell you to stay in the UK for now & then try again in the US for a PhD (if that's your path). However, I suppose it depends which Uni you'd rather go to.

Edited by mp429

I honestly am leaning towards Oxford. The Columbia MA is just too expensive and Oxford is such a nice option. And yes I do want a PhD from the US eventually (I did my undergrad there) but an Oxford MA would not hurt my chances for that at a later time would it?

I honestly am leaning towards Oxford. The Columbia MA is just too expensive and Oxford is such a nice option. And yes I do want a PhD from the US eventually (I did my undergrad there) but an Oxford MA would not hurt my chances for that at a later time would it?

I am myself an international and don't know a great deal.

But I don't thik an MA from Oxford would reduce your chances of a phd in US at all.

Both are excellent univesities with amazing reputation.

in fact a masters from outside the US seems like a plus and Oxford is very impressive.

Also Columbia has a very theoretical approach to anthro..some would say hyper-theoretical.

Nope, definitely won't. I did my BA in the US and my Masters in the UK & just got into a US PhD. Plus as kphd said - Oxford is super impressive, so I wouldn't worry :-)

Another British MA here who's off to the US for a PhD. (I'm also a British undergrad though.) An Oxford MA will really help with PhD applications, and getting an MA outside the States will mean that most likely you won't be doubling up when you do the PhD coursework. Exposure to a distinct approach to anthropology, another education system and another culture generally will strengthen your application and probably your scholarship. The fact that it's cheaper and will make a Columbia PhD more of a possibility is a bonus. Good luck with your decision!

• 2 weeks later...

All Anthropology graduate students going to Yale.

Declare yourselves. Let us get to know each other, at least preliminarily so that we find potential roommates amongst each other, share our anxieties, queries, etc. 

To begin with - I am 25, female, from India, presently in New Delhi,  going to Yale for Socio-cultural Anthro.