The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Roughly a month ago, I got two offers for anthropology departments in Oxford as well as Goldsmiths; the former is from Social Anthropology and the latter, I think, goes as Anthropology and Cultural Politics. I already have a masters degree in Cultural Studies, but I'd like to focus on anthropology for my PhD study, I had a free year, and I thought "Why not?" and applied these departments. The offers were conditional, requiring me to finish my current degree, hence the thesis, and get a GPA over 3.7; and I did both. So now, I have to respond to these offers and I am rather clueless.

Now, I think I am more familiar with the kinds of work and research done in Goldsmiths, especially those done by Graeber and de Genova. Also, it seems to me that Oxford's approach seems more "traditional" if that makes any sense and could be more challenging, even troublesome considering my background and the topics that I want to pursue. However, on the flipside, they read my personal statement as well in which I proposed two alternative topics for research. I am inclined to think that, if I would not be a good fit, they wouldn't propose an offer to me in the first place. 

Apart from that, a couple of my instructors told me that, especially anthropology department of Oxford is not that much appreciated at US PhD level, even kind of shunned, because of their "still" traditional and classical take on the discipline. Do you know anything about this?

So, what do you think? What would you suggest?

Also, sorry for the long post.

Roughly a month ago, I got two offers for anthropology departments in Oxford as well as Goldsmiths; the former is from Social Anthropology and the latter, I think, goes as Anthropology and Cultural Politics. I already have a masters degree in Cultural Studies, but I'd like to focus on anthropology for my PhD study, I had a free year, and I thought "Why not?" and applied these departments. The offers were conditional, requiring me to finish my current degree, hence the thesis, and get a GPA over 3.7; and I did both. So now, I have to respond to these offers and I am rather clueless.

Now, I think I am more familiar with the kinds of work and research done in Goldsmiths, especially those done by Graeber and de Genova. Also, it seems to me that Oxford's approach seems more "traditional" if that makes any sense and could be more challenging, even troublesome considering my background and the topics that I want to pursue. However, on the flipside, they read my personal statement as well in which I proposed two alternative topics for research. I am inclined to think that, if I would not be a good fit, they wouldn't propose an offer to me in the first place. 

Apart from that, a couple of my instructors told me that, especially anthropology department of Oxford is not that much appreciated at US PhD level, even kind of shunned, because of their "still" traditional and classical take on the discipline. Do you know anything about this?

So, what do you think? What would you suggest?

Also, sorry for the long post.

de Genova is moving to King's College London in the Fall as a Reader in Urban Geography. King's has done some great recruiting in the last year (Nick Rose, Paul Gilroy).  

Oxford has more money laying around for student research than Goldsmiths.  Goldsmiths is more "hip" but nothing is stopping you from doing research at Oxford that will make you attractive to American Anthro Departments.  Maybe spend a year as a visiting research student at King's or LSE? You can always just email these guys (Graeber and co) and the train from Oxford to London is relatively quick.

If you do decide to go to Goldsmiths The Amersham Arms is the best pub in Lewisham (essential knowledge for any PhD student).  

• 2 months later...

I am applying for an anthropology PhD program at U Mich, Emory and Johns Hopkins. On their website they do not list a GRE minimum. Does anyone know if there is an unstated minimum in the departments?

If anyone has been accepted or is in either of these programs- would you mind sharing your GRE scores?

I am trying to decide whether or not to retake the GRE.

Thanks in advanced!

I am applying for an anthropology PhD program at U Mich, Emory and Johns Hopkins. On their website they do not list a GRE minimum. Does anyone know if there is an unstated minimum in the departments?

If anyone has been accepted or is in either of these programs- would you mind sharing your GRE scores?

I am trying to decide whether or not to retake the GRE.

Thanks in advanced!

I'm in one of those programs. I don't think the GRE was as important as other aspects of the application. Unless it's really very low I wouldn't worry about it.