What are You Currently Reading?

thedig13

I know this thread topic has been done before, but it hasn't been posted-in for a while, and I assume that, since then, we've all finished and/or given up on whatever we were reading at the time. So I'll assume that there's room for us to discuss here.

Thus, I am rehashing this old topic. Let's go with title, author, and personal reason for reading, with an optional brief description.

For my Honors Thesis, I am reading:

- "Survival Pending Revolution: The History of the Black Panther Party" by Paul Alkebulan

- "Want to Start a Revolution?: Radical Women in the Black Freedom Struggle" by various authors

- "A Taste of Power: A Black Woman's Story" by Elaine Brown

For my non-thesis-related research I'm doing for a professor, I'm reading:

- "They Closed Their Schools" by Bob Smith

- "Brown's Battleground: Students, Segregationists, and the Battle for Justice in Prince Edward County, Virginia" by Jill Ogline Titus

For leisure reading, I'm reading "The Fault in Our Stars," by John Green

I should mention that I'm not actually plowing through all six of these texts simultaneously with ease, since I'm not an insanely talented reader or anything. I'm taking a manageable, bite-sized chunk out of one, then another, then another, which means that (in terms of duration between front cover and end cover) I'm taking 6 times longer for each book than I would if it had my exclusive attention.

Reading right now (curiosity/research/comps):

Prisoner Without a Name, Cell Without a Number - Jacobo Timerman

State Terrorism in Latin America: Chile, Argentina, and Human Rights - Thomas Wright

The Last Utopia: Human Rights in History - Samuel Moyn

I'm working on several papers right now... two lit reviews (one on human rights, one on youth movements), plus two other papers. I have about 30 library books at home right now :/

Leisure reading? Surely, you jest. :)

Edited by CageFree

Reading right now (curiosity/research/comps):

Prisoner Without a Name, Cell Without a Number - Jacobo Timerman

State Terrorism in Latin America: Chile, Argentina, and Human Rights - Thomas Wright

The Last Utopia: Human Rights in History - Samuel Moyn

I'm working on several papers right now... two lit reviews (one on human rights, one on youth movements), plus two other papers. I have about 30 library books at home right now :/

Leisure reading? Surely, you jest. :)

Well, I'm minoring in Creative Writing. As much as I love academic texts, creative literature is also a huge deal for me, so I dabble in it for fear that my love for and/or my ability to write good non-academic literature will atrophy and wither away.

It makes sense and I wish I had the time myself. It's just this particular quarter, with the number of books I have to read (I didn't include the 2 books a week I'm reading for one class, and the book I'm reading for another)... I think the term "leisure reading" officially disappeared from my vocabulary.

I suppose the Timerman book is sort of for leisure because it's not in any of my book lists. Scary, huh?

Edited by CageFree

Jim Downs, Sick from Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction

Susan Reverby, Examining Tuskegee: The Infamous Syphillis Study and its Legacy

I also have to teach William Barney's The Making of a Confederate:Walter Lenoir's Civil War soon, so I will be reading that too.

• 4 weeks later...

I love being able to pick and choose what stands out to me as interesting reading. Right now:

The True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics, by Christopher Lasch

Growing Up Absurd, by Paul Goodman

Roll, Jordan, Roll, by Eugene Genovese

The Spirit of Early Christian Thought, by Robert Louis Wilken

I've blasphemed... reading a lot of stuff from anthropologists over the holidays:

Peter Just & John Monaghan, Social and Cultural Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction

Jean & John Comaroff, Ethnography and the Historical Imagination

Jean Comaroff, Body of Power, Spirit of Resistance: The Culture and History of a South African People

Saba Mahmood, The Politics of Piety: The Islamic Revival and the Feminist Subject

Have you read James C. Scott's The Art of Not Being Governed?

I haven't, but I'll check it out. Looks fascinating and I work on a traditionally non-hierarchical society, so I'm sure I'd benefit from reading his book.

I'm reading Lord of the Rings. I just read The Hobbit (just in time for the movie) and figured, why not?

What happened to "the term 'leisure reading' officially disappeared from my vocabulary," CageFree? ;)

By the way, massive Lord of the Rings nerd here.

What happened to "the term 'leisure reading' officially disappeared from my vocabulary," CageFree? ;)

By the way, massive Lord of the Rings nerd here.

What happened is Winter Break :) If there's something I love about the quarter system is that I don't have to study over Christmas. :P

For this break: terribly cliched and cheap science fiction paperbacks that the used bookstore sells for 50 cents a pop. Nothing mind-altering there. It's my 'Jersey Shore.'

Which science fiction?

I just finished one book Dynamics of Contention. Loved it! I am such a historiography nerd.

For my plane trip back to the UK I'm going to be reading Hunchback of Notre Dame or something along those lines. When I get back on campus I will be reading The Slovak Dilemma by Eugene Steiner.

Edited by annieca

I've been reading fictional "non-fiction" cold war conspiracy stuff. It's kind of like reading novels except their authors don't know it. Currently by my bedside is Kenneth Sewell's Red Star Rogue which claims that the soviets tried to frame the Chinese for the nuking of Pearl Harber in 1968.

Edited by New England Nat

i am in the middle of Charles Burns' graphic novel Black Hole (about high school kids with a weird venerial disease), which I am teaching this semester.  I have also been watching movies to decide which to assign (I am teaching cultural history of American Medicine).

I've been reading fictional "non-fiction" cold war conspiracy stuff. It's kind of like reading novels except their authors don't know it. Currently by my bedside is Kenneth Sewell's Red Star Rogue which claims that the soviets tried to frame the Chinese for the nuking of Pearl Harber in 1968.

I giggled repeatedly.

Have you checked with a doctor to make sure your brain-cells aren't deteriorating?

I giggled repeatedly.

Have you checked with a doctor to make sure your brain-cells aren't deteriorating?

Oh, I highly recommend it for serious giggles. Cold war submarine "nonfiction" books are so full of weird unbelievable ... stuff.

If i'm loosing brain cells i have some to spare.