What are You Currently Reading?

thedig13

Now that it's been a while since I've contributed to this thread, I feel that it'd be an appropriate time to update my reading list...

For academic reasons (coursework and/or research):

Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle

The Port Huron Statement

Huey P. Newton's Revolutionary Suicide

Eric Schlosser's Reefer Madness

For leisure:

Alan Moore's Watchmen

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I will play: 

Benjamin Isaac's The Invention of Racism in Classical Antiquity 

I'm reading it for research/pleasure/ideas on a specialization.

I'm Looking forward to starting Yvon Garlon's  Slavery in Ancient Greece

For said reasons above and because why not? 

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the classics. Currently rereading The Iliad for the 5th time. It's amazing how at this point I'm still catching minor nuances I may have previously missed. I plan on following it up with The Aeneid and maybe Ovid's Metamorphoses.

Working on the classics. Currently rereading The Iliad for the 5th time. It's amazing how at this point I'm still catching minor nuances I may have previously missed. I plan on following it up with The Aeneid and maybe Ovid's Metamorphoses.

I remember reading The Iliad when I was 14; I took a course on the cultural heroes of different civilizations throughout the ages. We went from The Iliad to Joan of Arc to John Wayne to, yes, Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. I wish I could take it again; it was awesome, but, at the time, I didn't appreciate exactly how fantastic the course was.

And, an update on my current reading list:

- Paco Ignacio Taibo II's '68

- Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time

- Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

im re-reading the best book i ever read, the count of mount cristo!the best moments of my life passed when i was reading this, recommend it to anyone who has a lot of free time, 3 big chunky volumes for me!

also, while waitin for the 2nd film to come, The Hobbit is around the house bieng paged to refresh the mind and praise the one and only Tolkien.

and scholerly, if intrested in ME politics and history, i'm reading a few of Anoushirvan Ehteshami's books on iran, and also a book by christopher jafferlot on India, never looked to see what the actual name is, but its about radical hinduism.

Currently re-reading Thomas More's Utopia-- absolutely enjoy reading this!    For leisure: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo and The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (fils). 
Thumbelina, Out of curiosity--and based on your leisure reading--will you be doing modern French history at Yale?

Thumbelina, Out of curiosity--and based on your leisure reading--will you be doing modern French history at Yale?

Hi jamc8383!  :)

Oh no, I will be studying Medieval history (specializing in witchcraft persecutions and parochial education), but I love modern French literature/history.  If given the chance, I would love to study that time period at some point in my life. Are you studying modern French history?

Hi jamc8383!  :)

Oh no, I will be studying Medieval history (specializing in witchcraft persecutions and parochial education), but I love modern French literature/history.  If given the chance, I would love to study that time period at some point in my life. Are you studying modern French history?

Thumbelina,

I will be applying to Yale in the fall to study late-nineteenth, early-twentieth-century French history with a focus on interwar urban culture.  I was just curious if you would be working with (and might have some insight regarding) either of my POIs--John Merriman and Bruno Cabanes.  Congratulations on your acceptance!  Maybe I'll see you in 2014  :)

Thumbelina,

I will be applying to Yale in the fall to study late-nineteenth, early-twentieth-century French history with a focus on interwar urban culture.  I was just curious if you would be working with (and might have some insight regarding) either of my POIs--John Merriman and Bruno Cabanes.  Congratulations on your acceptance!  Maybe I'll see you in 2014  :)

Sent you a PM! :)

A History of Wales by John Davies - I got this for Christmas two years ago and I'm just finally getting to reading it. Being in Wales a year has definitely made it easier to recognize the places and so not be confused!

I'm in need of a good historiography book to read - anyone have any suggestions?

Novick is great as a broad historiographical survey.  I would also suggest that you check out volume 117, issue 3 of the AHR (http://ahr.oxfordjournals.org/content/117/3.toc).  The bulk of the issue is dedicated to a forum on more recent "turns" in historiography that go beyond Novick's chronology.  It would be a good companion read.