Reapplicants! Get in here with your advice please

So, reapplicants, how are you approaching the reapplicant essay? I feel a little stuck. Most of the things I wanted to convey (i.e. my motivation, experience) was already on my initial essay so I'm not sure what to add and remain within the word count.

My experience counts for itself and is clearly identified on my resume, whilst my initial essay showed my motivation, explained what I'm doing until matriculation (which I subsequently did) so I'm stuck lol

Any help would be appreciated. What did former reapplicants do? What are current ones doing?

I kept my statement mostly similar. What I did change was the part where I talked about what I wanted to study exactly. I made it more focused and tailored to the particular school and professors I was interested. I named the POI's I was interested in working with rather than remaining vague like last year. I moved some things around, cut out some repetitions, etc. I also added my teaching experience that I've been doing this past year and the research I was working on. I ended up with an even shorter essay, only 1 page long. It's got a ton of stuff all packed into 1 page (spent a couple of weeks just trying out sentences and thinking about the best way to say things in fewer words while keeping the flow nice). But it reads like it's a lot more impressive than the spread out 2 pages I had before. At least that's what a few people who read it have told me.

I think you're supposed to focus on what you have done to improve yourself as an applicant in the past, I'm guessing, year.

Thanks for the obvious, I was actually hoping to hear how people perhaps phrased their new achievements especially considering they (or me in this case) was largely happy with my SOP but feel I didnt get enough aid because I didnt have a professional recommendation. Or how people tackled it

I kept my statement mostly similar. What I did change was the part where I talked about what I wanted to study exactly. I made it more focused and tailored to the particular school and professors I was interested. I named the POI's I was interested in working with rather than remaining vague like last year. I moved some things around, cut out some repetitions, etc. I also added my teaching experience that I've been doing this past year and the research I was working on. I ended up with an even shorter essay, only 1 page long. It's got a ton of stuff all packed into 1 page (spent a couple of weeks just trying out sentences and thinking about the best way to say things in fewer words while keeping the flow nice). But it reads like it's a lot more impressive than the spread out 2 pages I had before. At least that's what a few people who read it have told me.

Thanks! My inclination was something similar. Although I did tailor it to most schools, I think with the added focus I gained, something more succinct will clearly be of benefit. How did you do in your reapplications, if you dont mind me asking (unless this is the year of reapplication?)

Thanks! My inclination was something similar. Although I did tailor it to most schools, I think with the added focus I gained, something more succinct will clearly be of benefit. How did you do in your reapplications, if you dont mind me asking (unless this is the year of reapplication?)

You're welcome. Actually this year is my current reapplication, but I've already got an acceptance (only 6 days after I completed my application so I was a little surprised and thrilled). It's rolling admission and I finished my application really early. I guess this is a sign I did something right, so I can now wait without the stress :)

One thing I did do different this year was contacting POI's by the way, which is important and I highly recommend it if you're applying for a PhD. But perhaps not so important for a Master's, depending on the field. Don't expect many replies, at least in my field that's how it was because out of 10+ thoughtful and tailored emails I sent, I got exactly 3 replies back. The one I was accepted in right away was one where the POI encouraged me to apply.