Appropriate to contact professor over ResearchGate?

carlyhylton

Hi all!

I might have posted this on a general grad cafe thread, but I like the psychology thread and I haven't posted here in a while...

My predicament is this:

I finally signed up for ResearchGate a couple of months ago. I LOVE IT. Highly recommend it to everyone!!!

More recently, a professor at my university with followed me.

I'm vaguely familiar with him, have had very limited contact with him, and he is a member of the same research centre (Centre for Vision Research) that I have a research assistantship in.

Yesterday he added a new publication (on ResearchGate) in a completely different area on Neuropsychological findings in Schizophrenia (also related to vision). I was intrigued! I looked through his publications again and he certainly hasn't done research like this before.

I'd like to contact him to ask about the publication and see if he intends to do any further research. This is definitely my area of interest and what I'd like to do in grad school. Moreover, I should be actively looking for a supervisor for my honours thesis that I will be doing next year.

Should I contact him? Should I contact him via ResearchGate? Should I do it the old fashioned way and send him an email?

What do you think?!

Thanks in advance : )

I think researchgate is intended for that type of communication. I don't see why not. Of course, I am not that familiar with academic etiquette. Someone who has more experience may provide you with different advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I think researchgate is intended for that type of communication. I don't see why not. Of course, I am not that familiar with academic etiquette. Someone who has more experience may provide you with different advice.

^^^

Def!