University of Nebraska - Lincoln Timeline

For those of you in the same boat, I have a little splash from UNL. Upon inquiry I was told that the review would be completed this Friday (March 6) with notifications going out next Monday (March 9). I'm not sure if that will be via postal mail, e-mail, or phone call. I would not count on the online system (GAMES) being up to date, as they don't even update all application materials that have been submitted.

Good luck!

I agree--I have much less anxiety when I know the timeline. Seeing as programs know their schedule, it would be helpful if they posted that information or shared it with applicants. That way I would only check my e-mail compulsively on days that I was expecting to hear from a school, rather than doing so every day until I hear from every school. I haven't been anxious about Nebraska this week as I know I won't hear anything until next week. The same cannot be said for those other schools...

I checked my status on GAMES today and it shows that I have submitted basically nothing. As you can probably guess, in somewhat of a frenzy I emailed the secretary of the grad dept asking about this. Apparently, if you mailed any part of your application in it will not show up at all here and your application is complete and on time if you have not heard otherwise. Also, she said that ALL responses will be sent out Monday. This still doesn't clear up what sending them out means, but at least we all know everything's going out that day. Again, good luck to you all.

Similarly, all of my mailed documents (letters of recommendation etc.) do not show up on GAMES, but I was told they were processed and complete. I suspect I will be talking with you quite a bit on Monday. :wink:

So it's officially Monday and I'm sure I was expecting too much in hoping to actually hear something from these guys today, but the suspense is just about killing me. Has anyone heard anything yet???

Haven't heard a thing from UNL. Checked my online status on GAMES about 10 times throughout the day, but no changes. In the results, someone did post an e-mail rejection, so I hope we'll be hearing something soon. Good luck to you!

So, I have a question for you guys. I checked the GAMES website today and my application is (finally) reviewed with the bright green bar denoting that under it. I haven't gotten an email from them or anything, but under that green status bar it says:

Application Status: Recommendation for admission sent to Graduate Studies

Could this maybe, possibly be what I am hoping it does?

In the mean time, I'm going to return to holding my breath for obscene amounts of time...

Ugh, I don't know what it means, but mine says the same thing. (Note that I checked WAM and it has not yet been updated with a decision.) If this is not an acceptance, it is among the poorest wording I have encountered in this process. I think something more generic like "Admission decision sent to graduate studies" would be used. The phrasing "Recommendation for admission" is very common for those who have been accepted (most of the letters say that they have "recommended" or "not been able to recommend" admission). So, while this does not clear anything up, the more I think through it the more it seems a good sign.

We should probably expect an e-mail today or maybe tomorrow. I have seen others post results where they were e-mailed from UNL in the past two days and was wondering where mine was.

Good luck!

Mine also is now bright green and reads: "Application Status: Recommendation for admission sent to Graduate Studies." I'm trying not to get excited, but I can barely help myself. This is almost painful, I just want to know one way or another. If this is bad news I'm going to be very bummed... Hopefully we are all in!!!

ninna: The green bar is only on the GAMES website. It's one of those silly "we should be making this website look like it's actually doing something" chart/technique things. There's nothing whatsoever like this on WAM, the other website to check your application status-which, for me, has also not yet changed. I wish this whole process just went a little more smoothly and and clearly. I have a feeling it would be easier on all parties, not just us.

FWIW there is a link to WAM on the GAMES page (lower left I think), but you have to log in again when you click it.

I just called the graduate school and was told that applications they received from the English Department are still being processed (she wasn't able to give me my application status at this point, even though they have received the Department's recommendation). She said the English Department has sent or is sending postal mail notification and that they may do the same after they are done with their final processing. I apologized profusely for calling twice today (morning and afternoon) and promised not to pester her again.

Upon further reflection, I think I was reading too much into GAMES and that we probably did not all get in. However, I bet one or two of us did, so let's remain cautiously optimistic that some of us will be hearing good news.

I still have not received an e-mail or postal mail from UNL, but my status on WAM was updated from yesterday to "Accepted" today. Of course, no word on funding. (I don't remember what kind of funding promises they make on their web site.)

Good luck to the rest of you as you check your status! (I am in the creative writing track so this shouldn't really have any bearing on your status.)

My WAM was also was updated to "admitted"!!!! I haven't received an email or letter yet either, but here's hoping for funding. This was my top choice program because they suit my research interests perfectly, so I'm pretty geeked- and this is my first acceptance in a sea of rejections, such a relief.

Good luck to everyone!!!

What great news for you, then. Congrats!

Maybe we all got into UNL, after all.

I'm pretty conflicted at this point as it has a much stronger reputation than the other schools from which I have offers. My main hesitation is that I do not want to live in Lincoln.

I know the program is not the highest ranked, but I am very pleased to have been admitted. Anyone have thoughts on weighing this against the location? Granted, I have never visited Lincoln. Maybe it's worth a trip...

To Spritely:

First of all, a most heartfelt congrats is due. I visited last summer, and was almost killed by a tornado, and i'm not being entirely melodramatic. I was also accepted. I like to think of it as a sign that because I survived, its worth a second look. If all else fails, find a place to live with a basement in it.

:)

To Spritely:

I visited last summer, and was almost killed by a tornado, and i'm not being entirely melodramatic.

Sounds extreme. Thanks for the advice. Do you have any other thoughts on the city? How does it compare to other cities you're familiar with, especially college towns? Many college towns are quite nice, but the ones I have been to are all relatively close to a larger metropolis (within an hour's drive, at least). Lincoln just strikes me as so... middle of nowhere. And cold. But I know one wouldn't want to base their graduate program decision on something like climate (or tornadoes) alone.

Thanks again, and congrats!

Yes, it was a bit extreme. But I DID happen to visit when I-80 was experiencing some severe weather. The storm chasers were zipping past me on the interstate towards Grand Island.

I currently attend the university of Illinois in Urbana Champaign and I would like to think that I would be moving into a similar kind of town if I were to go to Lincoln. The town very much relies on the activity of the campus to sustain itself. UIUC is sprawling...not so in Lincoln. At least, Lincoln seemed more navigable, with a smaller quad. Like Chambana, Lincoln is kind of in the middle of nowhere, too. And yet there was something very--what's the word I'm looking for, here? neat? quaint? My hometown is in the Chicagoland area so even a major city like Lincoln would seem small in comparison.

This isn't much help, is it? My subjective opinion doesn't really go much past "it was really pretty" right now. I'm still kind of enthralled about the whole acceptance. you should be too!