Master degree @ Canada GRE question

hvasilev

Hello,

In your opinion how relevant are is the V sections and the AW section on the GRE General test compared to the Q section for a person applying for *Master degree CS programs at Canadian universities?

Is it worth it to invest a few months in preparing specifically for those portions of the test ?

* 1) MMath CS @ U of Waterloo.

2) M CS @ U of T

3) M CS @ Alberta

as Internationa student.

Example: (NOTE: I've never taken the GRE )

V: 144

Q: 167

AW: 4.0

Is this a fail ? Do i have any chances at those universities with such scores ?

Regards.

I think that score is decent. They're mainly looking at your Quant score, so keeping that in the upper nineties would be best. Having good english (Verbal and AW) is a bonus for them, but not their priority. Bottom line: try to do well on everything, but you should try and ace the quant.

• 9 months later...

Guys, I really want your predictions. Can you help me with your opinions please, because I'm loosing my mind here.

I applied at the MMath Program @ U Waterloo for Winter 2014 ( the program should start in January ) and the Deadline for submitting an application was 1st June this year.

This haven't received a decision and they can't provide any more information regarding when the decision might come.

Thank you for your e-mail.  Your application is currently under review.  Once a decision has been made you will be notified via our online system.  I am unable to give you a time for this decision.

When should I start worrying that I'm wait listed / auto-rejected etc. cuz the nightmares are getting stronger and stronger.

I would check the "results" section of gradcafe to see if other people have applied to this program in the past (for Jan. start). If there is, see the approximate dates that they heard the results. That is probably the best estimate for decision timeline.

Other than that, we can only guess. When I applied to Canadian masters program (you almost always apply to masters out of undergrad in Canada) for a Fall start, the deadlines were in January-February and the decisions were made about 6-8 weeks later. But I know many people who did not get their results until something like April or May (i.e. 3-4 months after application). For you, since you are applying for a January start date and the last 3 months were summer months, there might not be a lot of effort in evaluating and making decisions on admissions made.

I'm not sure about the specific program you're applying for, but in Canada, it's often the case that you will be funded by a specific professor so that person has to decide whether or not to accept you. If this person has been away for awhile, or if they are not certain their grant will be approved and/or if they will have the money to fund you, then your decision will be in limbo until they find out! As an international student, you will cost more so it might be a financial/budget issue that they are trying to work out. From my experience in Canadian graduate programs, whether or not a professor is ready/able to take on a new student could really depend on whether or not their current students are going to stay or finish up. 

I think there is just not enough information currently to try to guess at what the outcome would be. It would probably be a good idea to have other plans in place in case you don't get in, though.

I would check the "results" section of gradcafe to see if other people have applied to this program in the past (for Jan. start). If there is, see the approximate dates that they heard the results. That is probably the best estimate for decision timeline.

Other than that, we can only guess. When I applied to Canadian masters program (you almost always apply to masters out of undergrad in Canada) for a Fall start, the deadlines were in January-February and the decisions were made about 6-8 weeks later. But I know many people who did not get their results until something like April or May (i.e. 3-4 months after application). For you, since you are applying for a January start date and the last 3 months were summer months, there might not be a lot of effort in evaluating and making decisions on admissions made.

I'm not sure about the specific program you're applying for, but in Canada, it's often the case that you will be funded by a specific professor so that person has to decide whether or not to accept you. If this person has been away for awhile, or if they are not certain their grant will be approved and/or if they will have the money to fund you, then your decision will be in limbo until they find out! As an international student, you will cost more so it might be a financial/budget issue that they are trying to work out. From my experience in Canadian graduate programs, whether or not a professor is ready/able to take on a new student could really depend on whether or not their current students are going to stay or finish up. 

I think there is just not enough information currently to try to guess at what the outcome would be. It would probably be a good idea to have other plans in place in case you don't get in, though.

90 to 120 days from the application deadline. Also in the winter semester it is usually harder to get in.