Low GPA and Want to Apply to professional school

postgradlife

I am currently getting a degree in Biology and my goal is to eventually get to school. Unfortunately due to not taking college seriously and just plain not having my shit together for a lot reasons. My GPA is not very high 2.7 cumulative. With graduation nearing, I'm freaking out and realize that I might have finally backed myself into a corner of no return. Although I don't have a good GPA I have a lot of extra curriculars. I've shadowed many, many doctors, and have volunteered at hospitals for years and am currently a research assistant at my local hospital. So I have a lot of medical and clinical experience. Which I am guessing.. will help. I am planning on taking the MCAT but if I don't do well on that, I might be out of luck. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me... because the future looks quite bleak and I really would like to pursue medicine, somehow. I know it won't be easy and it might not even be possible at this rate but I still want to try. Anything will help. Thank you.

I am currently getting a degree in Biology and my goal is to eventually get to school. Unfortunately due to not taking college seriously and just plain not having my shit together for a lot reasons. My GPA is not very high 2.7 cumulative. With graduation nearing, I'm freaking out and realize that I might have finally backed myself into a corner of no return. Although I don't have a good GPA I have a lot of extra curriculars. I've shadowed many, many doctors, and have volunteered at hospitals for years and am currently a research assistant at my local hospital. So I have a lot of medical and clinical experience. Which I am guessing.. will help. I am planning on taking the MCAT but if I don't do well on that, I might be out of luck. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me... because the future looks quite bleak and I really would like to pursue medicine, somehow. I know it won't be easy and it might not even be possible at this rate but I still want to try. Anything will help. Thank you.

Please visit http://studentdoctor.net/ for information related to professional schools.

You should consider applying to Special Masters Programs (SMPs). SMPs are programs that are specifically designed for applicants who wish to enter medical schools eventually.

Due to your low GPA score, it would be very difficult for you to get an offer from allopathic schools. However, you still have a shot for osteopathic schools though :) .

I agree, first go for the SMP. In my state, UMDNJ offers a Biomedical Sciences SMP which also shares lots of classes with actual medical students. This often paves the way for DO school. I don't think you'll get into an MD school, but a DO school should be your aim. You just need to get that master's first.

Either an SMP or a post-bacc (there are a few specifically for people who already have a sci background). Allopathic admission is extremely competitive (acceptance rates under 10%), so the DO option or a Caribbean MD might be more realistic. Also, there are a lot of new med schools cropping up state-side. You might want to look into those. I don't know if their admit rates are higher/if they're more forgiving of low GPAs.

You may actually be better off doing either a post-bac or taking some relevant courses at a local community college rather than doing a master's. From what I understand, GPA is calculated from undergrad level coursework only at most schools. While good grades in a master's program might be looked up favorably, doing undergrad level work will help a lot more in shoring up your calculated GPA to make minimum cut-offs. You're going to be swimming upstream starting from a 2.7, but with stellar grades in future coursework and fantastic credentials otherwise, it may be possible. I'll second SDN as a great resource - it was very useful when I was applying to vet school, and the medical boards are even more active