2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

I will go everywhere that gives me interview invitation, if there is no conflict.

You'll end up filling every weekend throughout February and March with an interview, which is fine, if you can manage it. I already have conflicting dates with five interviews. Then again, some might be able to make individual accomodations. I'm not sure. Even so, I don't think I'd want to do more than five even if I could, since that's the most I feel like I could prepare adequately for.

As an interesting aside, my boss actually recommended that I apply to at least 20 programs. I dropped that idea fast after I started paying those application fees!

You'll end up filling every weekend throughout February and March with an interview, which is fine, if you can manage it. I already have conflicting dates with five interviews. Then again, some might be able to make individual accomodations. I'm not sure. Even so, I don't think I'd want to do more than five even if I could, since that's the most I feel like I could prepare adequately for.

As an interesting aside, my boss actually recommended that I apply to at least 20 programs. I dropped that idea fast after I started paying those application fees!

The reason why I applied to so many schools is that PHD programs in Biology field are super selective, and this may ensure my chances to get accepted. It did cost a lot of money, but it's worth it.

I'll also go on every interview that I get. I think the more interviews that I get, the more confident I will feel at interviews, so it won't feel like the pressure is too much if I only have a few. I'm lucky in that I can take all the time to interview that I need, since we are expected to apply to school and I only applied to seven schools so not much time for me, but only 2 out of 7 programs have sent out invites.

I'd like to take a quick opinion poll. How many interviews would you have to do before you'd feel confident about your shot at getting accepted into a program? I ask this because there's no way I'll be able to go on more than five interviews. This is not just because they'll be a bit exhausting, but also because I have to use my (limited) paid time off to go on them. I'm assuming that the people who applied to 20+ programs won't be going on 20+ interviews, even if they get offers from everywhere.

Well, I've only applied to six programs, but I would certainly go to every interview if they don't conflict. Still waiting for an offer, though! I suppose if I applied to 20 programs, I realistically couldn't go to all of them, but since i've only applied to six, I think I'd be ok. It would certainly eat into my finances a bit, since I have no vacation time, and it would interfere with classes. But I don't think I'll get interviews everywhere anyway.

One of my mentors suggested applying to ten schools as a rule of thumb. I think 7 is a good. I want to apply to programs that I feel I could make it to the interview phase, as that's how I see myself getting back my app fee. I don't want to have to turn down a bunch of interviews because they start to conflict. For myself, I am confident in my research experience and believe I coul get into at least a couple of my programs based on the conversations that I have had with professors at these universities.

I'd like to take a quick opinion poll. How many interviews would you have to do before you'd feel confident about your shot at getting accepted into a program? 

You have to assess what an interview means at different schools. At some schools, an interview means you'll almost certainly get accepted (unless you obviously screw up the interview). At others, it might mean you have a 50% chance. Idk if there are schools where it's less than that, but they definitely don't invite tons of people they're not interested in for interviews, given the expense. 

For me, I would probably be pretty comfortable with 4 interviews. 

You have to assess what an interview means at different schools. At some schools, an interview means you'll almost certainly get accepted (unless you obviously screw up the interview). At others, it might mean you have a 50% chance. Idk if there are schools where it's less than that, but they definitely don't invite tons of people they're not interested in for interviews, given the expense. 

For me, I would probably be pretty comfortable with 4 interviews. 

I'd like to think most schools accept most of the people they interview. Unfortunately, schools don't usually tell you the percent they accept, otherwise I'd mostly end up interviewing at the ones I'd have the best shot at. Still, I'm not too worried, as long as I don't do anything devastatingly stupid.

I'd like to think most schools accept most of the people they interview. Unfortunately, schools don't usually tell you the percent they accept, otherwise I'd mostly end up interviewing at the ones I'd have the best shot at. Still, I'm not too worried, as long as I don't do anything devastatingly stupid.

Don't think like that way, and I don't think most school will accept majority of the interviewees. 

What program did you apply to UBC? I applied to their pharmaceutical science program.

The thing is I wanted to apply to the Microbiology and Immunology program, but most of the professors I contacted either told me they wouldn't accept new students this year or that I should contact them in january again because they didn't know if they could accept someone. The deadline was december 15th, so I ended up not applying. Surprisingly, two days after the deadline one of the professors contacted me again asking me to send him my transcripts and my recs e-mail if I was still interested. :) After doing my happy dance, I send him what he needed and then... silence. I know that he contacted my recs, but I don't know if this is going to go through the Microbiology program or what... I think I'm going to wait til monday, and if I haven't heard from him by then, I'll ask him if I have to apply to the program.  Next deadline is April 15, so I'll have plenty of time if this is the case.  :lol:

Edited by Winteriscoming

The thing is I wanted to apply to the Microbiology and Immunology program, but most of the professors I contacted either told me they wouldn't accept new students this year or that I should contact them in january again because they didn't know if they could accept someone. The deadline was december 15th, so I ended up not applying. Surprisingly, two days after the deadline one of the professors contacted me again asking me to send him my transcripts and my recs e-mail if I was still interested. :) After doing my happy dance, I send him what he needed and then... silence. I know that he contacted my recs, but I don't know if this is going to go through the Microbiology program or what... I think I'm going to wait til monday, and if I haven't heard from him by then, I'll ask him if I have to apply to the program.  Next deadline is April 15, so I'll have plenty of time if this is the case.  :lol:

Did you apply to MIT's microbiology program too? This is my dream program.

Not sure which is worse: a slow trickle of invites, or a great deluge? Maybe Friday will be a big day?

I hope so! I just want to hear something from someone. Even if I don't hear anything from the rest of the schools for a month, it would make me so much more calm if I got just one e-mail now. I looked at some of the days of the week that last year's applicants for my potential programs got their e-mails. Mondays and Fridays seem to be big days.

Interview invite for the University of Maryland College Park molecular and cellular biology BISI. Doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar here, but for all you lurkers out there (Hi! Don't be shy!) this may be for you.

So excited. Spoke to a POI there who is doing great research in structural biology.

Edited by ion_exchanger

I hope so! I just want to hear something from someone. Even if I don't hear anything from the rest of the schools for a month, it would make me so much more calm if I got just one e-mail now. I looked at some of the days of the week that last year's applicants for my potential programs got their e-mails. Mondays and Fridays seem to be big days.

You applied to EEB programs right? So did I, seems as though they tend to interview and review much later than other bio programs doesn't it? Makes me anxious since so many MCB, MB, and Neuro programs are already inviting. The waiting is painful!

Edited by pastesale

You applied to EEB programs right? So did I, seems as though they tend to interview and review much later than other bio programs doesn't it? Makes me anxious since so many MCB, MB, and Neuro programs are already inviting. The waiting is painful!

Yes, I applied to EEB programs except for at Drexel (I applied to Environmental Science there). Washington U already started sending out invites, but the remainder probably won't send them out until the end of January/beginning of February, based on the results. It's terrible waiting!

Not sure which is worse: a slow trickle of invites, or a great deluge? Maybe Friday will be a big day?

At first I thought slow trickle, now I'm thinking that all of them at once might seem overwhelming. Fortunately for me, my biggest reach came in first, and with each interview invite, I'll have time to let the news sink in and properly plan with a cool head. I say that, as I'm going crazy. Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought. Cool.

nope not a peep.

Yep, the microbiology program. It's my dream school for so many reasons, but my dream researcher is at Princeton, so both schools are pretty tight as far as dream school is concerned. Both are ginormous reaches for me, but I had to try! 

I applied last year to MIT and they  nomally start sending out invites after January 6th... an invite would be the best christmas present ever!!  :lol:

Luck to everyone!