2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

got an interview invite from MIT biological engineering! the results search also says some people heard back from MIT CSBi today.

i hope all of you waiting on MIT get good news soon!

got an interview invite from MIT biological engineering! the results search also says some people heard back from MIT CSBi today.

i hope all of you waiting on MIT get good news soon!

Wow, congrats!! I am dying to hear from MIT microbiology too!  :ph34r:

I predict that next week is going to be insane. Everyone will have truly waken up from the holiday and get down to business. One of my top choices' committee is meeting on Monday, and according to grad cafe, they send out invites the next day. My first interview is in 2 weeks. It won't be much longer my friends!

I agree that next week will likely be a deluge! I just want one interview! I was shut out last year and this year I've improved a number of things, so hopefully......if not I'll keep trying!

Just heard back from Northwestern's DGP program (chicago medical campus) ! They have 3 interview dates (i'll post it on the other thread too)

January 24 - 26

February 7 - 9
February 21 - 23

Did anyone else hear from them? Ahh next week is going to be insane >_< Best of luck to everyone!

I predict that next week is going to be insane. Everyone will have truly waken up from the holiday and get down to business. One of my top choices' committee is meeting on Monday, and according to grad cafe, they send out invites the next day. My first interview is in 2 weeks. It won't be much longer my friends!

I hope so, for my sanity's sake. I would really really really like to hear something soon! Curious, how do you when the school's committee is meeting? Do some schools make that information available, or are you making that assumption based on the application deadline? Better yet, do you have inside information? :)  

I hope so, for my sanity's sake. I would really really really like to hear something soon! Curious, how do you when the school's committee is meeting? Do some schools make that information available, or are you making that assumption based on the application deadline? Better yet, do you have inside information? :)

I wish I had access to inside information, I would feel so much better! I would also share with my forum members. Before the application deadline of a program at Johns Hopkins, I received an email from an ad comm member letting me know that I was missing  LORs. They then told me which day the committee was going to meet and that they would still review my application with 2 LORs but preferred 3. I didn't ask, they volunteered this information. I'm not sure if some schools make that information available.

Has anyone heard from Harvard Systems Biology? There was one person who posted in the survey that they had received an interview. Looking at past results, it seems like the program has always sent their interviews out in one wave. Hopefully they haven't sent out all of their interviews already.

Undergrad Institution: Large State School
Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.88
Type of Student: American male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 730
V: 550
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 3 years: 1 second author pub in press, another second author pub to be submitted soon, two first author pubs in progress

Applying to Where:
Stanford - Biosciences

Cornell- Biophysics

UCSF - iPQB

UC Berkeley - Biophysics

UW-Madison- Biophysics

UT Southwestern- Molecular Biophysics 

Duke- Structural Biology and Biophysics 

Johns Hopkins- Biophysics

Applied: (8/8)

Interview (2/8): Cornell, Duke

Rejected (0/8):

Accepted (0/8):

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

Did you apply to MIT's microbiology program too? This is my dream program.
I also applied microbiology track of Yale BBS. Did you hear anything from them yet?

Undergrad Institution: Electrical Engineering (B.Eng) from good public university in India

Undergrad Institution(s): Carnegie Mellon University (M.S) - Biomedical Engineering AND University of Cambridge (M.Phil) - Pathology

Overall GPA: B.Eng - 77/100, M.S - 3.4/4.0, M.Phil - by research
Position in Class: Top 1% in undergrads and middle of the class in M.S
Type of Student: International, Female

GRE Scores (old version):
Q: 770
V: 570
W: 4.0

TOEFL Total: 103

IELTS Total: 8.5

Research Experience: Multiple conference papers during undergrads, TWO 2nd author papers during M.S @ CMU and expected ONE first author paper during M.Phil

Special Bonus Points: Shifted from electrical engineering to biomedical engineering to biology (pathology)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 recommendations from CMU and 1 recommendation from Cambridge

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Cancer Biology

UCSF - Tetrad

UCB - MCB

Scripps Institute

Boston University - Biology

MIT - Biology

Harvard - BBS

UMass Medical School - Joint PhD program

Rockefeller University

Columbia Univ - Biological Science

Princeton - Biology

Caltech - Biology

Yale - BBS

Applied to (13/13): Harvard MIT BU Umass Med Stanford UCSF UCB Scripps Yale Princeton Rockefeller Columbia Caltech

Interviews (0/24):

Accepted (0/24):

Welocme mrmolecularbiology! Which biophysics program did you apply to at Hopkins? Cell, Molecular, Developmental Biology, And Biophysics (CMDB), or Program in Molecular Biophysics (PMB)? If you applied to PMB, the committee meets tomorrow, so the invites are expected at least this week, possibly just Tuesday, as recent trends suggest. Good luck to you!

Anyone else eager for this week? Hopefully the waits start to come to an end!

Super excited for this week! I am mentally preparing my self for this week, I feel like whatever is going to happen is going to happen this week. I am waiting on one interview for sure, and if I get this one, I will feel so much better.

Welocme mrmolecularbiology! Which biophysics program did you apply to at Hopkins? Cell, Molecular, Developmental Biology, And Biophysics (CMDB), or Program in Molecular Biophysics (PMB)? If you applied to PMB, the committee meets tomorrow, so the invites are expected at least this week, possibly just Tuesday, as recent trends suggest. Good luck to you!

I applied to the PMB program. Unfortunately They havent received my official transcript from the community college I went to as a joint enrollment student but they do have my official transcript from the institution I graduated from. Do you think this will hurt me?

Applied: Stanford Cornell UCSF UC Berkeley UW Madison UT southwestern Duke Johns Hopkins

Interview (2/8): Cornell, Duke

Rejected (0/8):

Accepted (0/8):

Edited by mrmolecularbiology