2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Just curious if anyone with a UCLA ACCESS interview has heard back from the program directors regarding travel info.

You should email to check. I didn't apply to ACCESS, but after getting an email on the 20th, I didn't hear anything since then so I emailed and a few hours later, I got another email with travel arrangements, etc.

Just curious if anyone with a UCLA ACCESS interview has heard back from the program directors regarding travel info.

I haven't heard anything back from UCLA ACCESS, have you?

Undergrad Institution: Texas A&M
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.33
Position in Class: No idea.
Type of Student: Female domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 169
W: 4.0
B:

Research Experience: Working 15+ hours a week for biology elective credit right now in my old microbiology professor's lab. I've only had a semester total of lab experience, but I'm doing it this upcoming semester as well. Graduating in three years doesn't leave much room for fun things :( Hopefully they'll take that into consideration.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I'm in a program where we write a thesis-style paper over a year-long independent research project. Other than that, nada.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Member of the school's microbiology society

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Not a one.

Special Bonus Points: My fiance's mom knows someone who knows a lot of people on the admissions committee. Not sure if that will help. My letters of recommendation are also pretty awesome. I work my butt off in lab and in class and they reflect that.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nothing I can think of.

Applying to Where:

UT Southwestern - Biology - Molecular Microbiology (FIRST CHOICE. If I get rejected, tears will be shed.)
University of North Texas - Biology - Computational biology/pathogenomics
University of North Texas Health Science Center - Biology - Microbiology and immunology

University of Texas at Dallas - Biology - Molecular and cell biology

@bamafan...congrats on ur victory last night...i'm a die hard irish fan (tattoo and all) and i'm pretty down in the dumps today...hopefully some emails start coming in and cheer me up!!

We are quite interested in your application to our program.  At this time , however, it is incomplete and cannot be reviewed.  We need to have your transcript ASAP.  Interviews will be early in February.

I received this email from the human genetics prog at JHSOM..Is there anything to read into this email or is it pretty standard? They do have my transcripts now.

Thanks!

Anyone heard back from these programs? Still have gotten zero news...

ASU Cell and Molecular Bio

UWashington Genome Sciences

WashU Molecular Genetics and Genomics

UCSD Biology

Stanford Genetics

Anyone heard back from these programs? Still have gotten zero news...

ASU Cell and Molecular Bio

UWashington Genome Sciences

Wash U Molecular Genetics and Genomics

UCSD Biology

Stanford Genetics

I got an interview for UCSD Bio. Dates: 1/31-2/1 or 2/11-2/12.  They said they had over 600 applications this year.

On 1/8/2013 at 12:34 PM, impatient7 said:

rejected from WashU St. Louis  computational and systems biology...... w0mp

Me too! But for Genetics and Genomics... Changes the game, since I was most excited for WashU out of my list. I might have to consider reapplying depending on how things go for the other applications.

Haha, flat_rhino! I would be dead drunk at the end of the day :-D. I hope that the two of us will hear back from UW-Madison soon but according to the results page they were also pretty late last year. 

@chemaholic -- awesome name for the topic. I also wish you best of luck with UW-Madison! I know they've made invitations to people who attended some of those "get to know us" programs from earlier in the year. Seems like this Friday will be the day of reckoning judging by the results page.

@Erbbie3 - I guess I'll be seeing you at the next AA meeting right after the hospital visit :P