2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Just found this forum... looks like it could be both a blessing and a curse! I look forward to indulging my neurotic tendencies here for the next several weeks. Here are my stats:

Undergrad Institution: Top liberal arts college
Major(s): Biology, Chemistry
Minor(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 3.4 (Bio), 3.1 (Chem)
Overall GPA: 3.25
Position in Class: Ehh
Type of Student: Domestic(ated?) female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158 (74%)
V: 164 (93%)
W: 5.5 (96%)
Biology Subject Test: 790 (85%)... not great, not terrible. Was "strongly recommended" for some of the program I applied to though, so I submitted my score.

Research Experience: 1 summer ecology research in undergrad, 1 month volunteer ecology research assistant, 2 years at my current job (post-grad) as a technician in a micro/immuno molecular pathogenesis lab at a top research university. Will be 2nd author on two papers that will be submitted in the next month or two, and 3rd author on another paper to be submitted in the same time frame.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing, really.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Current tech position

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nope, nothing here either.

Special Bonus Points: I had good personal meetings or phone calls with potential advisors at all of the schools I'm applying to, and I've got strong LORs. Also applied to 3 pre-doctoral fellowships, which were noted in my applications, though of course the outcome of those is determined after the whole admissions process.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Varsity athlete during college (uhh...teamwork?)

Applying to Where:

MIT-WHOI (Biological Oceanography)

MIT CEE 

MIT Microbiology

Harvard MCB (MCO)

Harvard OEB

UCSD-SIO (Marine Biology)

Tufts Biology

UConn MCB (Microbiology)

Northeastern Biology

UMiami MBF

Kind of a broad range of programs, but I'm interested in environmental micro (host-microbe interactions!) so that straddles a few disciplines. Haven't heard back from anywhere yet, though it looks like I missed out on MCB invites today (congrats Erbbie! Sob for me though, haha). Big congratulations to everyone who's gotten interview invites so far, and for the rest of us - let's keep our fingers crossed :-) 

Just found this forum... looks like it could be both a blessing and a curse! I look forward to indulging my neurotic tendencies here for the next several weeks. Here are my stats:

Undergrad Institution: Top liberal arts college

Major(s): Biology, Chemistry

Minor(s): Biochemistry

GPA in Major: 3.4 (Bio), 3.1 (Chem)

Overall GPA: 3.25

Position in Class: Ehh

Type of Student: Domestic(ated?) female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 158 (74%)

V: 164 (93%)

W: 5.5 (96%)

Biology Subject Test: 790 (85%)... not great, not terrible. Was "strongly recommended" for some of the program I applied to though, so I submitted my score.

Research Experience: 1 summer ecology research in undergrad, 1 month volunteer ecology research assistant, 2 years at my current job (post-grad) as a technician in a micro/immuno molecular pathogenesis lab at a top research university. Will be 2nd author on two papers that will be submitted in the next month or two, and 3rd author on another paper to be submitted in the same time frame.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing, really.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Current tech position

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nope, nothing here either.

Special Bonus Points: I had good personal meetings or phone calls with potential advisors at all of the schools I'm applying to, and I've got strong LORs. Also applied to 3 pre-doctoral fellowships, which were noted in my applications, though of course the outcome of those is determined after the whole admissions process.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Varsity athlete during college (uhh...teamwork?)

Applying to Where:

MIT-WHOI (Biological Oceanography)

MIT CEE 

MIT Microbiology

Harvard MCB (MCO)

Harvard OEB

UCSD-SIO (Marine Biology)

Tufts Biology

UConn MCB (Microbiology)

Northeastern Biology

UMiami MBF

Kind of a broad range of programs, but I'm interested in environmental micro (host-microbe interactions!) so that straddles a few disciplines. Haven't heard back from anywhere yet, though it looks like I missed out on MCB invites today (congrats Erbbie! Sob for me though, haha). Big congratulations to everyone who's gotten interview invites so far, and for the rest of us - let's keep our fingers crossed :-) 

Did you by any chance to go Wellesley?

Undergrad Institution: RPI  (#100 in biology from US news)
Major(s): Biochemistry & Biophysics / Bioinformatics & Molecular Biology
Overall GPA: 3.34
Position in Class: Top 50%
Type of Student: Domestic, male

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 161 (83 percentile)
V: 163 (91 percentile)
W: 4.5 (73 percentile)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

2 years of undergraduate research bacterial transformation and SPR

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Nation Residence Hall Honorary, several scholarships/grants from the school

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Resident Assistant

Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity

Class Council

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

My research adviser is very well-known and is an alumnus of my first choice grad school.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Johns Hopkins - Pharmacology - Anti-Cancer Drug Development

MIT - Biology - Cancer Biology

Boston University (BU) - Biology - Cancer Biology

RPI - Biology - Cancer Biology

UMass medical - Biology - Cancer Biology

Has anyone heard from University of Florida, yet? Did anyone else apply there? Not many posts in the results history, and I know they have interviews at the end of this month. It was one of my favorites...

I'm applying for Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical sciences in U of F. I haven't heard from them either. I submitted my application in late November and no news ever since.

Just got an email from Illinois MCB telling me...that my application is now complete, and they'll be reviewing them in the next few weeks. Way to toy with my nerves, Illinois.

Seriously, the farther into January we get, the more of a basket case I become.

Can I ask which program at Weill-Cornell it is you have an interview for?

For anybody who applied to UMass Med biomedical sciences, got an email today saying they reviewed my application this morning and wanted my Fall 2012 grades

I submitted my application on the very last day

Not Wellesley, but another LAC in western Mass. 

Ah, cool, I guessed as much since your list is very Boston-area heavy.

Edited by bamafan

Ah, cool, I guessed as much since your list is very Boston-area heavy.

Yes, very Boston-heavy (due to several personal circumstances). Luckily Boston is in no short supply of schools with great graduate programs, though!

I applied for BCM. I noticed that my active program has been changed to my second choice  :unsure: I don't know if I still have the chance of receiving an interview from them since I was basically rejected by my primary choice/program?

Choice one: Interdepartmental Program in Cell & Molecular Biology

Choice two: Molecular Virology and Microbiology

Edited by mengyan528

I applied for BCM. I noticed that my active program has been changed to my second choice  :unsure: I don't know if I still have the chance of receiving an interview from them since I was basically rejected by my primary choice/program?

If you are still extremely interested in them, it could not hurt to mail the second program and tell them that. It probably depends on the school and the program, if you will be considered by the other program. It can't hurt to tell that program you are interested though, if you are.

Definitely e-mail them if you are interested in your second choice. They are very nice and quick to respond, and it may help to know that you are actually interested... I don't see how it would hurt. BCM usually e-mails to tell you they moved you to your second choice...

It looks like Berkeley just unleashed its Death Star. :(

I received my first rejection yesterday (from UW). Not a good feeling. It's probably the first time during this whole experience that I was hoping there wouldn't be an e-mail in my inbox! I saw it there, and I just knew it was a rejection. On the flip side, after asking Columbia if they were done sending out interviews, I immediately received an interview offer. Maybe they forgot about me, or is it just a coincidence it happened right after I e-mailed them? Anyway, supposedly Princeton and UChicago are still considering applications (note- I applied through molecular bio). Remain hopeful everyone!

On 1/9/2013 at 3:45 PM, Jubilee said:

It looks like Berkeley just unleashed its Death Star. :(

I received my first rejection yesterday (from UW). Not a good feeling. It's probably the first time during this whole experience that I was hoping there wouldn't be an e-mail in my inbox! I saw it there, and I just knew it was a rejection. On the flip side, after asking Columbia if they were done sending out interviews, I immediately received an interview offer. Maybe they forgot about me, or is it just a coincidence it happened right after I e-mailed them? Anyway, suppposedly Princeton and UChicago are still considering applications (note- I applied through molecular bio). Remain hopeful everyone!

Princeton is still considering applications? That's good news! I already thought them lost!  :)

Erbbie3... you're a rockstar!! Congratulations!!

Rejects from Yale BBS and UC Berkeley MCB  :(

Applied to (13/13): Harvard MIT BU Umass Med Stanford UCSF UCB Scripps Yale Princeton Rockefeller Columbia Caltech

Rejected (2/13): Yale BBS, UC Berkeley MCB

Interviews (0/24):
Accepted (0/24):