2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Hi, anxiously waiting here as well :wacko: .

More than a week ago somebody posted on the results list for biophysics at TSRI "Phone call from faculty, emails from the Graduate Office will be out today or Monday".. does anyone know whether TSRI has sent out all invites at once then? [Any additional information on the review schedule would be very appreciated.. in order to estimate when's time to give up hope :D .]

I haven't heard from 4 of my programs in USA. Princeton and Indiana will probably be rejections because I haven't heard anything from them (and invitations were sent in dec), although someone recently posted that the mol bio program of Princeton was still sending out invites. MIT microbiology is apparently still silent and WashU Micro started last week. I guess we'll hear from them this week then!

Good luck to everyone!!  :)

My first interview is this week. Is anyone else preparing to travel this week, and very nervous like me??!!

ME!!! I leave on Thursday and will be there until Sunday afternoon!

My first interview is this week. Is anyone else preparing to travel this week, and very nervous like me??!!

My first interview is this week as well.  I am very nervous.

Sloan-Kettering for me this week! They're taking us to see Avenue Q!

I am so jealous!!!

Does anyone have last interview tips? They aren't going to grill us on techniques, right??!!

from what I've heard they mainly just want to see how well you can talk about your research experiences.. i heard about one instance where they asked technical questions..this was at JHU 

Also jealous of the GSK interview, but I'll live lol. Interestingly enough, I had a conversation with a professor from JHU and they asked me technical questions, which made me even more nervous.

I'm hoping we will all be successful. We are such great grad school candidates and these schools should be chomping at the bit to take us!

Edited by ion_exchanger

Has anyone heard anything from UC-Boulder, Vanderbilt IGP, or Florida? I applied to 11 schools, heard back from all of them by now except these 3.

Wondering if I missed the invites or they are just leaving me hanging for awhile.

Also, how many interviews do you guys actually go on? I've got five scheduled and don't know if that's excessive or not.

Sloan-Kettering for me this week! They're taking us to see Avenue Q!

That will be so much fun!!!

Does anyone have last interview tips? They aren't going to grill us on techniques, right??!!

Oh geez. I need these. But seriously... watch the "ums, uhs, kindas, sortofs, stuffs" etc and you should be fine as far as general speaking goes. Those junk words can get in the way. I've heard entire conversations where there were more junk words than actual content!

I'm reading up on the professors I get to meet with, now. Some of them are doing one or two techniques that I don't do, so it will be fun to ask about them. If they do go into technical stuff on my techniques, I will be fine. I'm also taking in my resume, and slides from my recent seminar. :)

Has anyone heard anything from UC-Boulder, Vanderbilt IGP, or Florida? I applied to 11 schools, heard back from all of them by now except these 3.

I got my invitation from Vanderbilt IGP on December 5th.  I know that they send out invitations in multiple waves, though, possibly depending on what your field of interest is, so yours might come later!  Good luck!

Interview tips - 

This is my third time applying to graduate school and I have been on three interviews, two my first year and one last year. I received one acceptance and decided to decline the offer to hold out for something better. (I have 4 interviews already this year because have put a lot more effort toward my apps and I am not prepping for interviews). I was accepted to Columbia, and rejected from U.Chicago (i expressed doubts of going to grad school that year) and UMass last year....

First and foremost you need to stay relaxed, this comes from being prepared and knowing what you are talking about. There is no pressure during the interviews and no need to be anxious. All they want to see from you is enthusiasm about the program, the research going on there, and your research. Of course, you can get a jerk interviewer who will try to make you stumble -- out of my 18 or so 1-on-1interviews I did not come across such a person, but they are out there. If you don't know something, say it, don't scramble to make up an answer. Search the web for common grad interview questions and think of answers to them. Practice your spiel with your mentor or a graduate student. You need to remember that you are just as in control of the interview as the professor is - it is your job to ask them questions in order to inform YOUR decision. I found that it is sort of a competition between interviewee and the interviewer who gets to talk about their research. I'd estimate that 60-40 the professor talked about their research, so pay attention and ask questions even if you think they are stupid...Professors are always looking for a fresh young perspective on the problems they are working on - so asking "dumb" questions could lead to something they have never thought about. Everyone affiliated with the program you are visiting gives feedback to the admissions committee, so don't get drunk and act a fool or be rude to someone you think doesn't matter in the process. Get together an "elevator pitch" of your research that is between .5-2min for the mixers with professors and students, don't let this drag on forever because people are drinking and honestly don't really care - but be convincing and play to their interests if you can. Why is what you do important? How is your research applicable? How can it be applied my research? What skills do will you bring to my lab? Think and talk big picture, gloss over the details, but know the details if you are asked for them! Again ask a lot of questions because they convey enthusiasm. Take the opportunity to practice your pitch with other interviewees before the event starts, this lubes you up for the real thing the next day. 

The process is fun and exciting - so enjoy it and make sure the program is right for you by asking questions... I can't really stress that enough. Good luck.

Wondering if I missed the invites or they are just leaving me hanging for awhile.

Also, how many interviews do you guys actually go on? I've got five scheduled and don't know if that's excessive or not.

Are you talking about University of Florida? I'm waiting on them as well.

I will go on as many interviews as I am invited on!

Wow, Bansky, thanks for the tips! You make some great points, particularly the point about glossing over details, but knowing them. I had experience working with malaria, but not directly, and while working on that infamous "so tell me about your research" speech, I was wondering if I should run down the entire life cycle! I know it, if asked, but I don't want to bore the interviewer. I've definitely had someone try to trip me up to test what I knew, or thought I knew.

Anyone applying for University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston? I haven't heard from them since mid November after I submitted my application. Neither did I see posts about invitations on the results page.

No, when I interviewed at PSU, it was basically a conversation between you and the interviewer.  They talked about their research and you talk about yours, some other minor chit chat.  They might have some questions like why do you want to come here or why grad school but it's really not bad and very laid back.  Nothing to be nervous about.

I have my Drexel interview on Thursday but since I went up there in August and met with a few people and had a sort of quasi interview I'm not terribly nervous.  It's just official this time.  Remember they wouldn't be paying for you to come there if they weren't interested.  Just don't walk in like you are indifferent and arrogant and you should be fine.  And of course don't get drunk!!

And of course don't get drunk!!

I am making a conscious effort to avoid booze.... a little bit of booze renders me incapable of processing my thoughts and what's being said to me!