UC Santa Barbara

kphd

I know someone who was accepted into the art history department with a Central Fellowship, which I believe comes from the graduate division, rather than the department. It was $22,000 for the first and third years, with a TAship of $16,900 the second and fourth years. So...if you have no car payment (or better yet, no car) and live with roommates (no in their grad housing) I think it's just enough to live.

Hey! thanks for the reply.

$22,000 should be fine, right? the second and fourth years will be tough! I don't have a car. All I need is my own bedroom and enough for food and beer!!

The $22,000 will be fine, it's the $16,900 years that will be tough. You'll have to put some of the $22,000 aside to cover those years, probably. And there are lots of cheap bars near campus (in Isla Vista) so you'll have plenty of money for beer. ;) (Don't live in Isla Vista though. You'll want to talk to the other students in your program about where they live, and make sure you steer clear of areas full of partying undergrads.)

Note: not all UCSB graduate students receive funding. I know some of the cohort there. Santa Barbara is an expensive city and if you're not funded, I personally would not accept the offer.

Note: not all UCSB graduate students receive funding. I know some of the cohort there. Santa Barbara is an expensive city and if you're not funded, I personally would not accept the offer.

This is true (about the funding) and I agree that I wouldn't go without it. It's a ridiculously expensive city. Another thing to keep in mind is getting out of Santa Barbara. If you have no car, getting anywhere (home for visits, conferences, etc.) might prove cost prohibitive. There is an airport there, but it's small and pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm attending the program right now, if you have any more questions!

Hey!

wish I had posted earlier...the deadline has passed and I haven't applied to UCSB - funding worries.

Perhaps you may know about the funding situation in UCLA. 1) What are the odds of getting full funding (I think the department fellowships are about 22k). 2) There are other awards of about 18k..will that be enough?

Thanks

Hello again kphd,

I don't know about odds, but it's true that the level of competition is crazy high right now. Hopefully you'll get an offer. Any fellowship would be fantastic (even if you have to eat Top Ramen for a few years). Even if you don't win a fellowship, but get accepted, you'll be able to fund your program through TAships, which (I think) pay roughly the same as a fellowship, except you have to work for it. Overall, I'd say that in this climate of limited spots and massive amounts of competition . . . any acceptance with a way to pay for it should be viewed as a huge compliment and seriously considered. Good luck!