Should I quit first semester of my Master's program?

smugpug

It's my first semester in a 2-year anthropology program at a big fancy school, and since the first day I realized I made this decision with very little information, and perhaps for the wrong reasons. No one in my family went to college, nor did I have any mentors in undergrad that may have prepared me for what I was entering into.

I had no idea my proposal statement would be taken so seriously, and now I'm stuck doing a project I'm really not that interested in, nor do I feel like I have enough experience to be working in my world area. My advisor is out researching for the year, so there's really no one to talk to about any of the concerns I'm having.

I'm just extremely unprepared, behind, and depressed about it all. I've been seeing a councilor but I still can't seem to come to an answer.

My question is this: If I quit, what are my chances of getting into a graduate program in the future? Will I be tainted forever? I'm worried that if I leave I'm going to fall into an even bigger rut than I'm in now.

I should also mention that I have no motivation to write my finals papers, all 4 of which are due in a week and are 100% of my grade in each class. I've been staring at the screen for hours. Should I just stop wasting my time and start looking for jobs?

I'm just extremely unprepared, behind, and depressed about it all. I've been seeing a councilor but I still can't seem to come to an answer.

Common first semester experience. Did you try petitioning for a medical incomplete?

There's another poster here who said you should finish. I agree with that poster. Don't quit now.

I don't know what it's like in anthropology, but I'm in philosophy and here it's supposedly VERY acceptable to change your mind on what you want to do your Master's research on from when you first applied to now. If you do have a concrete direction you'd like to go, I'd try to talk to the department grad studies chair about it (since probably an area change will mean a supervisor change). It's a bit ridiculous for them to assume that your SOP going in was a set-in-stone plan for your whole career, and I doubt they do! I really think if it's a good department they'll be accommodating of a change.