apply for biostat program profile evaluation

Coconut111

Hello everyone!

I'm applying for PhD program in biostat this year. As I'm not math-majored in undergrad study, I'm a bit worried about my competiveness? Could you give me some suggestion about choosing schools or what is my chance of being accepted by top schools or top programs?

undergrad: BS an international institution major: Biotechnology gpa 3.6/4.0

grad: MS top 20 US institution major: Biostatistics gpa 3.9/4.0

gre: Q800 V580 W4.0

toefl: not required

research experience: two projects with professors in biostat, several course projects

courses taken: statistical inference, probability theory, linear models, modern regression, survival, categorical data

software: SAS R

Thank you so much!

Depending on what schools you attended, I think you will be competitive for departments ranked outside the top 10.

Thank you so much!

I am preparing for applying UMinnesota UMich UNC UPitt Emory Brown. Do you think it's realistic?

Thank you again!

Again, this going to depend on where you went to school and what math grades you had. I think it will be tough for you to gain admission at UNC, Michigan, and Minnesota, but you have a better chance at Pitt, Emory, and Brown.

On 11/30/2012 at 11:11 AM, cyberwulf said:

Again, this going to depend on where you went to school and what math grades you had. I think it will be tough for you to gain admission at UNC, Michigan, and Minnesota, but you have a better chance at Pitt, Emory, and Brown.

wait, so someone with

- decent undergrad (depending on school), with 3.6/4.0

- MS in biostatistics (!) at a top 20, with 3.9/4.0

- good GRE scores (at least quant portion)

- relevant research projects in biostats (!)

is not going to be competitive for a top 10 biostats program?

The possible red flags might be competitiveness of the undergrad institution and the fact that the applicant is international, but I was under the impression that biostats applicant pool was not that deep... For example just going through the UWashington biostats phd student profiles, I find a lot of students with less impressive profiles than the OP.

Sorry I just feel a little insecure since my profile is not that different from the OP and I most applied to top 10 programs....

wait, so someone with

- decent undergrad (depending on school), with 3.6/4.0

- MS in biostatistics (!) at a top 20, with 3.9/4.0

- good GRE scores (at least quant portion)

- relevant research projects in biostats (!)

is not going to be competitive for a top 10 biostats program?

The bar for international students is substantially higher than for US citizens/PRs. Places like UNC/Mich/Minn typically select international PhD applicants from a small set of elite schools in China, India, Korea, etc. Having a Masters degree from a biostat program outside the top 10 (I assume) boosts the profile a little, but it's not a huge help. Same goes for relevant research in biostat; unless the OP has a first-authored paper in a solid biostat journal (which would be extremely rare for a Masters student anywhere), it will have only a small amount of influence.

I don't mean to sound too negative; I still think the OP has a decent chance to be admitted to fairly good departments like Emory. But a top 6 place could be out of reach.

The bar for international students is substantially higher than for US citizens/PRs. Places like UNC/Mich/Minn typically select international PhD applicants from a small set of elite schools in China, India, Korea, etc. Having a Masters degree from a biostat program outside the top 10 (I assume) boosts the profile a little, but it's not a huge help. Same goes for relevant research in biostat; unless the OP has a first-authored paper in a solid biostat journal (which would be extremely rare for a Masters student anywhere), it will have only a small amount of influence.

I don't mean to sound too negative; I still think the OP has a decent chance to be admitted to fairly good departments like Emory. But a top 6 place could be out of reach.

Thank you so much, Cyberwulf and sisyphus!

Actually I think my bio background in undergrad may be a negative point. My undergrad institution is now well-reputed in US, but it's like top 15 in our country. My grad institution in US is good-reputed for biostat, about top 10 program.

I will take a shot at those top PhD programs but will keep my options open.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I

Actually I think my bio background in undergrad may be a negative point. My undergrad institution is now well-reputed in US, but it's like top 15 in our country. My grad institution in US is good-reputed for biostat, about top 10 program.

Sorry, it's "not", not "now"

Hey cyberwulf, I'm also an international student and I'm wondering how attending a US institution for my undergrad degree affects my chances of admission -- does it improve it all, or is the competitiveness for international applicants more about limited funding?

Sorry to hijack the thread but CyberWulf, I have a question on how adcoms determine academic levels of unknown overseas institutions.

My school is in country J (heavily populated, one of the major economies in asia), and is ranked roughly #5 ~ #7 nationwide.

The school is highly regarded domestically, but I think it has almost zero international recognition.

I understand that if this were China, South Korea, or India, adcoms have ways to figure out how good a school is, i.e. through past experience or asking their own grad students/faculty.

However, students/faculty from country J are severely underrepresented in U.S. stat programs, and I strongly doubt adcoms have much experience handling applications from there.

For complicated reasons I qualify as a domestic applicant so I figure I'll be compared to applicants from U.S. schools.

My question is: since my school is unknown, is it likely that it would be treated similarly to an unknown state school in the U.S. (or worse)?

Honestly, I think the academic level (at least in quantitative disciplines ) at my school shouldn't be that much different from a top 25 U.S. school, but there really isn't any way to prove that.

FWIW, my gre general is Q170(99th) V160(83rd).

Could you give me some insight? (currently debating whether I should make my school list more conservative or not; I have a limited budget)

It's not always easy, but adcoms will generally do their best to figure out the caliber of your school. The Internet and its various university rankings can usually provide a good enough approximation.