Please evaluate my profile

gn919

Hi,

I am an international student who applying for stats phd.

I graduated from one of big ten school and I had double major in mathematics and computer engineering.

My gpa is 3.67/4.00 ( major gpa is 3.87/4.00 )

my gre score is 560/800/3.5 (I took old version)

Two years of work experience in finance company in my home country

I took Cal 1~3, Differential equation, linear algebra, analysis, discrete math, Ordinary differential equation and one four hundred level statistic course.

Also, I took programming courses.

I am interested in computational statistics and machine learning.

These are the list of school I apply: Duke, UNC, ncsu, CMU, minnesota, msu, WashU, UIUC and virginia tech.

In case of getting rejection from all school, I am going to apply for masters, too.

1) Please evaluate the chance of getting admitted one of above school.

2) Please give me advice on good schools to apply for masters.

Thank you in advance!

I think the probability that you get admitted to at least one school on your list is pretty high. The first four schools are reaches, but your chances get better from there on down.

Edited by cyberwulf

I think the probability that you get admitted to at least one school on your list is pretty high. The first four schools are reaches, but your chances get better from there on down.

Thank you much for your reply.

I am planning to apply for master degree for those reaches instead of ph.d. After earning master degree in those schools, do you think the chance of admission of those schools is higher?

Compare to earn phd stright in schools ranked in 15~30, do you recommend get master degree in top schools and then reapply for ph.d in top schools?

Thank you much for your reply.

I am planning to apply for master degree for those reaches instead of ph.d. After earning master degree in those schools, do you think the chance of admission of those schools is higher?

Compare to earn phd stright in schools ranked in 15~30, do you recommend get master degree in top schools and then reapply for ph.d in top schools?

Depends on your career goals. If you think you would like an academic position, then it's important to go to a top 10-15 place and the best path into those places might be via an MS. Otherwise a lower-ranked PhD where you could gain direct entry might be sufficient.