Fulbright Foreign Students 2009-2010

I thought someone should create a thread for us foreign Fulbrighters applying for 2009-2010 entry.

What have been people's experiences so far with the whole application process? In my case we're not really allowed to contact departments ourselves during the time the IIE is taking care of placements - is this valid for other Fulbrighters? Does anyone know anything yet about the orientation we'll have in the US come August/September?

Hey, I am Fulbright grantee for 2009/2010, too. Here in Germany it is also only one school to apply for - at least in my program.

This sucks a bit to be honest. :)

you mean you can only apply to one school? we had to apply with the same application form (and SOP, etc.), but we were allowed a pick of 5 schools.

any word back from your applications though?

you mean you can only apply to one school? we had to apply with the same application form (and SOP, etc.), but we were allowed a pick of 5 schools.

any word back from your applications though?

Yes exactely, only one school :!: They also prefeer to place us at state school, though some also go to the top private ones. Since I am engineering that is no problem for me. But it would be nice to choose, because so I am funded for one year (Masters) and then I have to look what is possible, who is offering funding for a phd maybe. (No probelm with a different school then)

I haven't heard back from my ONE application - they lost my Toefl score which delayed everything (and probably killed some extra funding) - but hopefully I will hear back very soon.

yikes! that seems scarier than here! how about your visa though? you guys get the same J1 visa? could you stay on in the US for PhD study and delay the 2 year residency requirement back in Europe?

i wonder how they even enforce that requirement, since they can't really track where in Europe we are? i dunno. weird system.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, it is the same J-1 Visa. And of course you can delay it for further studies. Actually they could ask you to provide proff that you have lived in your home country, like banking, housing or other contracts. I am still waiting to hear from the school I applied to, drives me nuts - I mean that is the one and only school I did apply..

Last weekend we had a big prep conference in Berlin with all German Fulbrighters and some American Fulbrighters. Was really awesome! Where are you from, if I may ask??

Hey theresatwist,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the communication channels with IIE placement (which sucks), but I don't know much about the whole orientation thing -- I haven't thought about that a lot yet to be honest. I asked my friends at Fulbright and apparently the idea is we'll get sent somewhere other than where we're going to be studying, like a holiday or something.

P.S. I'm probably going to Columbia btw.

Hey guys, I'm a fulbrighter from New Zealand and will probably end up at Princeton (although Caltech is still a possibility). My friend who received a Fulbright last year went on a camp in Miami for a couple of days when she got to the States, so perhaps they're doing a similar thing this year? Fingers crossed! I know we definitely have orientation here in June as well though.

I think the home residency requirement can be pretty relaxed as I don't know anyone who has actually returned to New Zealand! They all seem to go to Europe or Australia for a few years before returning to the States. I really hope I can do something like that!

yeah, it is the same J-1 Visa. And of course you can delay it for further studies. Actually they could ask you to provide proff that you have lived in your home country, like banking, housing or other contracts. I am still waiting to hear from the school I applied to, drives me nuts - I mean that is the one and only school I did apply..

Last weekend we had a big prep conference in Berlin with all German Fulbrighters and some American Fulbrighters. Was really awesome! Where are you from, if I may ask??

woah! all these posts! :)

i'm from Portugal actually, but i haven't really heard anything very concrete from our local Fulbright office about how the home residency requirement works or how it has been for local Fulbrighters in previous years. i suppose they will mention it when the time comes, though what Raddles is saying makes quite a lot of sense, and i imagine the requirement won't be enforced too strictly.

it'd be lovely to go somewhere nice and warm for the orientation thing. i'll be moving to New Haven, CT as soon as the J-1 visa allows and i know i will sit there in july and august bracing myself for the winter to come, so Miami for orientation would be really nice..!

Tobson, any word on your school yet? i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

woah! all these posts! :)

[..]

Tobson, any word on your school yet? i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yeah looks like our little family increased :)

No, unfortunately I haven't got any word so far, three weeks ago, the staff from the department told me there will be a desicion made "shortly". The Fulbright comission told me that many grantees are still waiting for their admisson, however I started looking for alternatives since there are still universities with late deadlines - just in case. It is a big state university with a top "tenish" program. Shouldn't be to hard for a descicion. I have got testing score, a good GPA (for German standarts)...well we will see.

As far as I know, the J-1 Visa allows you to arrive in the States up to "mighty" 14 days earlier (prior to the start of the program - or preacademic seminars). That's what they told us.

@Raddles: I think your are refeering to the pre-acamdemic programs. These last from days to weeks, and as far as I know you have to apply for it (when the time arrives) and the IEE will provide spots by lot. Unfortuantely the happen to be in the middest of my exam time, but still there are the Enrichtment weekends ;). I hope to meet some of you guys there. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I am a fulbright scholar from Pakistan and will be attending Ohio State Uni in Fall 2009.

Yes, we were also not permitted to contact universities ourselves during our admission process. This unreasonable policy actually made me to miss out on the best of unis where I had applied (sighs.....) actually i was allowed to apply for 4 unis but a friend of mine was allowed to appy for 5.

And unfortunately i have been expemted to attend the orientation ceremony thats gonna be arranged for all the fulbright scholars. I really wanted to attend it but I have no choice. Hence, i will not be able to meet u guys.

p.s: i wub be very helpful if everyone could mention their country of origin here...