Rankings - Comments / Quantitative International Relations

balthasar

I was wondering how the people in the forum would rank the political science departments based on their strength on quantitative IR. So I just decided to throw this out there. Any comments on why you rank the programs the way you did would be especially welcome. If you rather prefer to provide a list of -or just comment on- the departments in terms of their strength in a more specific aspect of quant IR (formal / statistical or IPE / security etc.) that is also welcome. The point is to inform the members of the forum about the quant IR world, possibly help current and future applicants in their decisions as well as to have fun. You can even make a drinking game out of it (i.e. one shot if someone doesn't put rochester at the top of the list, one if stanford tops a list, one if NYU is ranked higher than UMich...)

Well, formal is very different than quant, so it's hard to answer this question. For formal IR, Princeton/Rochester/Stanford/NYU all seem like good choices to me. To do empirically driven IR, maybe Harvard/Michigan/Princeton/Stanford. For work that looks to combine theoretical and empirical modelling, e.g. EITM style work, maybe Michigan/Harvard/Princeton/Stanford/Rochester. Rochester doesn't have much of an IPE group though.

I was wondering how the people in the forum would rank the political science departments based on their strength on quantitative IR. So I just decided to throw this out there. Any comments on why you rank the programs the way you did would be especially welcome. If you rather prefer to provide a list of -or just comment on- the departments in terms of their strength in a more specific aspect of quant IR (formal / statistical or IPE / security etc.) that is also welcome. The point is to inform the members of the forum about the quant IR world, possibly help current and future applicants in their decisions as well as to have fun. You can even make a drinking game out of it (i.e. one shot if someone doesn't put rochester at the top of the list, one if stanford tops a list, one if NYU is ranked higher than UMich...)

Wait that means I don't get any shots. This makes me sad. ADJUST THE RULES NOW.