When's the first pay?

Guest Cridamour

Guest Cridamour

So, I got the admit and the fellowship. I'm moving to the US from Europe and was wondering whether I need to save up big-time to get through the initial costs of renting and buying some furniture, books, etc. My admission letter says they'll pay stipends twice a month, but when is the first payment? My classes start in the beginning of September and I've booked my ticket for mid-August.

Guest a guest

I would recommend saving your money just in case, I don't know about your school, but my school starts in mid-August, but I won't get paid until early September. So, I have to endure the costs of moving there, and paying for books & supplies, until I get paid in Sept.

You might want to contact the program about two things: 1) You could ask them when their first payments are made. 2) Perhaps explain your predicament and ask them if they might be able to advance you the first payment or payments to make your move easier. Perhaps they will be understanding; I know a friend of mine once asked a fellowship for this consideration and they were quite helpful to him. The worst that could happen is that they would say no. Good luck with your move!

Do ask your department, and maybe ask payroll how you can expediate the process. I got my information to payroll early, but my department sat on things, and I didn't get my first paycheck (TA while getting masters in math) untill the begining of October (by mail). Changing that to automatic deposit has spead things up, but you might have to wait, especially if there is a small mix-up, as in my case. Otherwise, avoid mix-ups by being sure of what payroll and your department want, and communicating with them as to if you have the right paperwork in the hands of the right secretary, etc. :oops:

Hey Cridamour,

I doubt you'll get your first paycheck before the end of September so definitely save up for all of those moving-related expenses.

I know that at Ohio State, which is on quarters and starts in late September, the first TA check does not come until the end of October...

Yeah, at my school I didn't get paid until September 15 and my offical "start date" was August 15. This meant my security deposit and August's rent as well as food for survival until Sept 15 all had to come out of savings. So did the money to fund some basic furniture-type things for my apartment after moving. I'd definitely save up.

The good thing is, I got TWO full paychecks in September--the one on the 15th and one on the 30th. I'm not sure what exactly the logic is behind this. It would've been nicer to just get a check at the end of August instead of them holding out for 15 extra days.

Guest Cridamour

Thanks for the comments guys, I guess my mom will have to wait a while longer for the 2000€ I borrowed from her some months ago...

I'll make sure to contact my department and check if I need to pay anything beyond first month's rent when I get housing, see whether it comes furnished, etc. Still loads of stuff to arrange! I booked my plane ticket yesterday for 20 August! :)

Guest Debating

I work on campus in my school and they have a two-week "processing window" is what they call it, where they do nothing, then you get paid. So you work two weeks, submit hours, wait another two weeks, then get paid. I am therefore expecting a similar situation in grad school and don't know how I'll get through a month of rent AND security deposit AND moving costs without pay...