Carnegie Mellon 2009

souledge

Hey, Congrats to you too.

I haven't been to Pittsburgh either (I am currently in India)....am trying to contact some students there regarding accommodations.

I've taken up Mechanical Engg by the way.

I'm a senior at CMU right now. Pittsburgh is really what you make it. It's personally not my favorite city but I do know lot's of people who absolutely love it. Be prepared for lots of cloudy days during the regular school year. For accommodations I would recommend living in either Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Look up streets and their proximity to campus though because some can be further away. I live in Shadyside right now, about a 10 min walk from campus. Squirrel Hill is easily a short bus ride up Forbes Ave, especially if you live on Wightman or Murray Ave. Good luck and congrats. As much as I can't wait to graduate from CMU in May it's a great school.

Hi jws603,

thanks for the information. Can you inform us about the current oncampus jobs scenario. I am an international student in school of Computer science(LTI) and would be dependent heavily on departmental funding and oncampus job availability.

Thanks in advance,

-Nitz

I can only speak of what I know from an undergraduate standpoint. I have many friends who work as desk attendants, in the library, at the information desk, or the admissions office, etc so campus jobs are definitely out there if you actively pursue them. I am not sure if you need to be a US citizen or not for these jobs. I would recommend emailing the department that you will be in and asking them these questions directly since it will very important to find out! Good luck!

hey zooey....congrats!!... When is the orientation for u? Have u accepted the offer or are u waiting for replies from other universities? And the main issue...u got any funding from CMU or are u on ur own like I am ?

hey zooey....congrats!!... When is the orientation for u? Have u accepted the offer or are u waiting for replies from other universities? And the main issue...u got any funding from CMU or are u on ur own like I am ?

Thank you :) I've accepted the offer, am yet to receive my I20 so I'm guessing info about orientation etc will follow. Let's see.. :) And yeah I'm on my own like you...Are you a Master's only candidate? CMU offers no funding for (A) International students (B) Non-PhD admits.And so on both counts we're hit :(

Yes-on the masters only....too bad about the funding scenario :( ...but i guess i'm just happy to get an admit there. So u've already sent all the necessary financial docs right?

Too bad indeed...But I guess we don't have to be completely disheartened. I talked to a few seniors in my dept currently in CMU and they said it's quite easy to get a campus job (assistantships mostly) @ $10-15 per hour..and working @ 10 hrs/week gives them enough money to meet their living expenses. That's the silver lining if you're looking for one..And yeah I'm just happy to have gotten an admit, just sent out my docs this week. Now the wait for I20 :|

@Zooey

yeah, I'll be shortly applying for the loan. Have yu already taken loan from the bank. If yes, how was your experience with the bank. I would most probably looking for a loan of 20 lacs.

I think my i20 should be around 55k USD. What is tution fee for ECE ? Mine is 17500 $ per sem and the prog. is a 2 year degree course.

• 3 weeks later...

The docs go to the OIE, not the departments right, and because of (I quote my ECE grad counselor) 'the huge volume of documents to be processed, the OIE will not be able to individually acknowledge new admits'. So basically, you have to wait it out. However, if the OIE finds your docs to be wanting in any respect, they will let you know, so no worries. If they don't ask you for anything extra then your application packet is good.

Also, the OIE will inform you when they send out your I20.

If you still want confirmation, email your grad admissions counselor (your dept), that's what I did. They'll probably tell you the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I have created a new google group for students who are going to join ECE Department of Carnegie Mellon University in the Fall '09 Session. I myself tried to search for such a group but couldn't find any so I have created one. So folks lets come together and get to know each other through this group.

http://groups.google.com/group/cmu-ece-fall-09

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't received any information about classes or anything so far. Does anybody know when they are going to start sending that information out?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use