Refreshing an LORs Mind

1Q84

Hello!

So it's been 5 years since my undergrad and I'm worried my LORs won't remember much about me. We weren't that close in undergrad so it's already kind of bad to begin with (I didn't do enough cozying up during those years...)

Do you think it'd be a big imposition to ask them to take a look at my writing sample, not for feedback or anything but just to show them what progress I've made?

Thanks!

I waited two years, so I felt the same way. Rather than asking them to read your WS, I would just provide them with your stuff so that they can reference it if they like. Personally, I provided the following:

1) CV, SOP, writing samples

2) A letter on our professional experiences together to help them recall useful information that might be included in a letter (and as a sentimental thanks)

3) My UG and grad transcripts

4) Any papers I had written for them

5) A concise outline of other professional accomplishments (especially since the two years I've seen them)

A note on etiquette: don't just automatically send them a bunch of attachments; that can get really annoying. You should offer them your CV, SOP, "and anything else they would find helpful."

I waited two years, so I felt the same way. Rather than asking them to read your WS, I would just provide them with your stuff so that they can reference it if they like. Personally, I provided the following:

1) CV, SOP, writing samples

2) A letter on our professional experiences together to help them recall useful information that might be included in a letter (and as a sentimental thanks)

3) My UG and grad transcripts

4) Any papers I had written for them

5) A concise outline of other professional accomplishments (especially since the two years I've seen them)

Wow awesome! I'll definitely considering giving them some of those too. Thanks!

A note on etiquette: don't just automatically send them a bunch of attachments; that can get really annoying. You should offer them your CV, SOP, "and anything else they would find helpful."

Ah, forgot to specify, I was planning to see them in person and drop stuff off so I definitely won't be bombarding them with documents via email haha.