Interview Preparations for a PhD in Earth Sciences

joe_f88

Hello all,

What kind of questions are usually asked in a PhD interview? I am an applied math major and applied for a PhD in the Earth Sciences recently. I suspect they will ask me on

1) Why this project?

2) Why switch from Applied Maths to the Earth Sciences?

3) Why are you suitable?

4) What have you done in uni

and etc. Apart from the generic questions, what else should I take note on?

Any comments, input or advice is most welcome!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am applying to Earth Sciences PhD too and my undergrad major is Environmental Sciences, which makes us quite similar. Basically you have to justify your transition from your original field of study to the proposed one (your question #2), and need to demonstrate that your "exotic" background could well prepare your graduate research in Earth Sciences.

I think the whole application is about selling yourself. So if I were the professor, I would definitely like to see your motivations (why you wanna do this) and capabilities (what you can do or have already done).

In my personal opinion it would be helpful if you could highlight your unique advantages brought by your math background (e.g. superior numerical & modeling skills) compared to other applicants. In fact I once contacted some faculty members I'm interested in and tried to emphasize my intensive training in chemistry and instrumental analysis, which did work.

Good luck!

You guys need to come check out the old threads in the Earth Sciences section of the Physical Sciences part of Grad Cafe! Last year there was a great sense of community, but also the old threads are a wonderful resource for questions like this. Not to mention, we love new people and you might have more replies for field specific questions like this.

I don't have any interview experience yet myself, but I do want to point out that many, many applicants in the earth sciences did not do undergraduate work in geology. I would say of the research groups I am interested in joining about 1/2 of the current graduate students have backgrounds in math, physics, or chemistry. So while you should be prepared to answer the "switching fields" questions, don't feel like you're the only one. Many geology departments really seek out these types of applicants for their stronger quantitative or "hard science" skills.

Make sure to read some previous publications from the POI's in your department.  If you can show you're current on the research the department is doing it will up your odds...  IMHO you really need to demonstrate a fit between your background/interests and the strengths/research of the department/POI's you're applying to.

If you seem affable and unlikely to be a pain in the ass to work with, you're already home free at the interview stage. In my view the point of interviews in the earth sciences is to weed out the folks who look great on paper but are unlikely to be functional in the specific environment of the lab or department, for whatever reason. Of course, not all programs even do interview like activities prior to admission (mine included).

I helped with the student/peer side of applicant visits last year (again, they were already admitted, so we were trying to get them to commit, not looking to be impressed per se at that point), but what came up repeatedly in my conversations and profs interactions was:

A) What is your background

B ) What are you excited about

C) What can I tell you about to help with your decision (city, social opportunites, resources)

Also, handy trick if you are feeling nervous, ask any prof or student what they are currently working on and you can just sit back and relax for like 15 minutes!

Edited by Usmivka

If you seem affable and unlikely to be a pain in the ass to work with, you're already home free at the interview stage. In my view the point of interviews in the earth sciences is to weed out the folks who look great on paper but are unlikely to be functional in the specific environment of the lab or department, for whatever reason. Of course, not all programs even do interview like activities prior to admission (mine included).

I helped with the student/peer side of applicant visits last year (again, they were already admitted, so we were trying to get them to commit, not looking to be impressed per se at that point), but what came up repeatedly in my conversations and profs interactions was:

A) What is your background

B ) What are you excited about

C) What can I tell you about to help with your decision (city, social opportunites, resources)

Also, handy trick if you are feeling nervous, ask any prof or student what they are currently working on and you can just sit back and relax for like 15 minutes!

The last line really helps. XD