Professor-Student Relationships: How Close Is Too Close?

... I was compared to a Nazi several pages back. This is the only time I have referred to personal attacks but, yeah, that was a big one. I'm not always talking about you, donthate, promise.

Plus, yeah, when we're talking about whether or not their is room in the discussion for non-normative sexual identity, that IS about my person. Sometimes they do actually overlap. Unfortunately, acknowledging that opinions and arguments are not free from humans and feelings IS a feminine trait. I possess that trait.

Ok so you're a girl who is a lesbian. Amiright amiright?

"Well, I think we've just proven that we aren't actually talking about whether one is male or female, but rather whether one is masculine or feminine. Which, as any good gender theorist can tell you, is performed regardless of biology."

This.

Era sorry guys I have no idea why gradcafe won't let me actually quote things today.

Edited by girl who wears glasses

... I was compared to a Nazi several pages back. This is the only time I have referred to personal attacks but, yeah, that was a big one. I'm not always talking about you, donthate, promise.

Plus, yeah, when we're talking about whether or not their is room in the discussion for non-normative sexual identity, that IS about my person. Sometimes they do actually overlap. Unfortunately, acknowledging that opinions and arguments are not free from humans and feelings IS a feminine trait. I possess that trait.

Scratch that. Transgendered pre-op.

HEY YOU GUYS: how normal is it for your prof to sign off his email to you by saying "lots of kisses"?

your prof reminds me of my friend's ex-wife. "keeess keeess keeess"

also: i now want to go home & watch the goonies.

You want to interpret every opinion in a discussion as a personal attack on your feelings, and you're surprised that nobody likes having a discussion with you. Is that right?

Well gee, I wouldn't say EVERYBODY. I think it's just you, econosocio, and DontHate. I won't try to speak for you though, and I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

I think I've been lurking long enough to have known you to indicate, two espressos. I think.

Oh?  If you want to take a stab at my gender (or not, as this is all pretty superfluous), shoot!  I'll tell you if you're correct or not.  I'm kinda curious, actually.

"Oh? If you want to take a stab at my gender (or not, as this is all pretty superfluous), shoot! I'll tell you if you're correct or not. I'm kinda curious, actually."

Nah. I like your kind of gender-irrelevant identity here. (Which is why I may have filed a comment away actually. I am just as guilty of wanting to know, I guess?)

Edited by girl who wears glasses

I'm bothered that you weren't bothered by the same thing a few pages ago in this thread when people were berated for being male and thus regarded as unqualified to participate in this discussion.

Can I get an amen? "AMEN!" Can I get a hallelujah? "Hallelujah!"

I mean, really folks. When it comes down to it, outside all of our careful pretentious language -- a substantial portion of people I've been arguing with here are upset that a man has called into question the salience of male professor / female student relationships, assumed that I make the points I do merely because I'm a man, and have for the last four pages attacked my position solely on that.

I mean, seriously. Grow up.

Nah. I like your kind of gender-irrelevant identity here. (Which is why I may have filed a comment away actually. I am just as guilty of wanting to know, I guess?)

I'm wondering which comment you've filed away? Hm...  I know you like the gender-irrelevance, but...

two espressos: guy

Correct.

Edited by Two Espressos

And that's fine if I'm identified as such but I don't have any stake in that being true. As I have said, I am usually quite careful to remain fairly neutral in presentation but not here. The only reason I even asked you, donthate, is I wondered if I had actually indicated anywhere. (I totally may have and even probably did in this thread!!) I'm being cagey now because, honestly, because I can.

I have a particular love of that poem. She's hilarious in general but that one is special to me.

<p></p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Two Espressos" data-cid="1057888312" data-time="1356053480"><p>I'm wondering which comment you've filed away? Hm... &nbsp;I know you like the gender-irrelevance, but...</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Correct.</p></blockquote><p></p>

Nooooooooo. It was probably forever ago. I have been lurking around here for about three years now, (Maybe the last time this came up?)

If I have to choose between spending a night with a giant semi-educated cockroach and a Literature PhD, I'd choose the invertebrate.

Ouch.  Notwithstanding your curt, overgeneralized disregard of an entire discipline, I'll give you props for being memorable.

I also tend to be cagey about gender on the internet because I like seeing how people engage with me based solely on my performance. Which isn't to say that I'm "pretending" online, just that I think the anonymity makes discussion easier and less "boyz are stupid" and "girls are such sluts" than often happens on your average forum or even comment thread.