Decided not to apply - Should I let professors know?

AJ09

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of applications and realized that I should not be applying to several schools, and I was planning to let my recommenders know to save them time. I've already applied to a lot of reach schools, and I don't want to waste any more time or money on places that are pretty near impossible. Of course, I would explain my rationale behind it, and I felt confident they would be understanding.

However, my friend (also applying to grad schools) said it would probably confuse my recommenders and make me look bad if I let them know. She suggests that I let them send the recommendations and just not submit the application myself.

Wouldn't that look bad for my recommenders if they send letters for an applicant who didn't apply? Wouldn't my recommenders find out if I did not apply??

Your friend's advice is terrible. Be forthright and explain why you are not applying to the remaining schools. Your instinct -- that your references will understand -- is very likely correct. It's your decision, and as long as you are not requiring them to commit more time and effort, it is the right step to take.

It is your responsibility to update them accordingly on the process. Being deceptive and forcing them to submit letters for applications that won't be submitted would be ridiculous. Go with your original thought and be honest.

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of applications and realized that I should not be applying to several schools, and I was planning to let my recommenders know to save them time. I've already applied to a lot of reach schools, and I don't want to waste any more time or money on places that are pretty near impossible. Of course, I would explain my rationale behind it, and I felt confident they would be understanding.

However, my friend (also applying to grad schools) said it would probably confuse my recommenders and make me look bad if I let them know. She suggests that I let them send the recommendations and just not submit the application myself.

Wouldn't that look bad for my recommenders if they send letters for an applicant who didn't apply? Wouldn't my recommenders find out if I did not apply??

Your recommenders are more than likely very smart people who won't be ''confused''. Just be honest, let them know politely, and they should be ok with it. Less work for them after all!

Imagine if you took your friends advice, and a recommender decided to send an email to a friend on the facult where you're applying to check up on your application or to sing your praises, only to be told you didn't apply....