Joining a Lab & Picking Your PI

ScaryGoose

I am currently a first year PhD in Biomedical Science in the MMPA - Microbial and Molecular Pathogenesis track. We perform 3 rotations in our first year, then choose a lab.

Our department just got a well-renowned professor who I would love to rotate with and - if everything goes well - choose as my PI.

Here is the question: Since he just moved in he doesn't have a lot going on in his lab at the moment. He has told me that things will pick up once I start my rotation (March) and he is hiring 3 post-docs, some of which are coming from his previous lab. I'm more concerned that I will be the only grad student in his lab at the beginning and was wondering if any of you thought this would be an issue.

Thoughts??

I will be the only first year since I am the only one in my department (the other two fell out - one dropped out of the program and one switched departments) and the third is an MD-PhD student who already chose his PI this past summer.

Personally, I think starting off in a lab with 3 post-docs and a PI would be great, assuming you like the PI and get along with them.

You'll have lots of research based support getting off the ground, and a number of experienced senior people to go to with problems/learn from.

A lot of PIs are much more hands on when setting up a lab than later on as well, so you may be one of the only grad students that will actually get to work in the lab alongside this PI, which can be a very nice and unique experience to have.

A lot of PIs are much more hands on when setting up a lab than later on as well, so you may be one of the only grad students that will actually get to work in the lab alongside this PI, which can be a very nice and unique experience to have.

How long does this "setting up a lab" period usually last? The first year? Two? I guess I'm asking how long a student can look forward to that type of interaction in a relatively new or brand new lab.

I guess it depends on the PI. I rotated in a lab where a PI just started acquiring students this past year and he has been here for 5 years. He has yet to hire a post doctorate.

I don't think being the only grad student should be something that keeps you from rotating with this guy. Speaking from my own experience (I'm currently the only grad student in lab and will likely continue to be so), I feel lonelier than students in other labs, where there may be more than one students in the same year or different years. So I had to go next door and make some grad student friends. The upside is that you'll become the baby in lab, and your fellow postdocs will be your valuable resource for a lot of things.