optional diversity statement - submit?

iowaguy

I'm a white, middle-class male. Will it look bad to the adcom (like I'm not very interesting, etc) if I don't submit an optional statement of diversity? This is for a top-10 domestic university... Thanks!

what's the word limit on this thing? I don't think this section is meant for anyone other than minorities and such. I have to fill one out one that limited me to 280 characters. But I would think twice if it's an actual document that you have to upload.

grinnell? it has to be grinnell

You should definitely submit. It can't hurt and it can only help you. The diversity statements I was asked to write certainly applied to minority groups, but they also applied if your work might benefit resource poor communities, minority groups, women, etc. You may also choose to discuss something that's unique to you. Review the prompt carefully and make sure there's no way it applies to you before passing it over.

also, diversity statements are typically taken into consideration by the university with respect to funding, so in some cases, not submitting one automatically puts you out of the running for at least one fellowship for which you might otherwise qualify.

Iowaguy, I'm applying to similar fields as you, so here's the advice I was given. If they ask for something that's optional, just do it. The Adcomms would benefit from knowing more about applicants. If there studentA and StudentB with the same stats, but they know a little bit more about StudentB, human nature dictates that StudentB would be in their mind more. (Not saying that StudentB would get picked). Also you have to realize that there's more to diversity than just race and economics (Top one's off my head are sexual orientation, religion) Plus if you've volunteered/done community-based research, you may seen diversity right before your eyes.

In Environmental studies, I'm told there are some training programs with special funding for urban livability, or marine ecology work, etc. The diversity statement helps them with figuring out they can fund a potential student too.

You should definitely submit. It can't hurt and it can only help you. The diversity statements I was asked to write certainly applied to minority groups, but they also applied if your work might benefit resource poor communities, minority groups, women, etc. You may also choose to discuss something that's unique to you. Review the prompt carefully and make sure there's no way it applies to you before passing it over.

I disagree. They can definitely hurt an otherwise stellar application if the adcoms read something in there that makes them think (extreme example) that you're an arrogant prick who isn't aware of his own privileges. There's a very real chance that the statement may rub the adcom the wrong way if they haven't had their cup of coffee in the morning, etc.

If you have something to say, submit one. If you don't, don't try to twist your past into something that fits what you think they're looking for. If I'd had a choice to opt out of these, I would, even as someone who falls into multiple minority groups and has done work for minority communities, simply because I don't think my minority status has ever disadvantaged me or had a great effect on my decision to pursue higher education.

I submitted one, but only because the admissions representatives specifically said it can only help and not hurt. If you're in doubt, just shoot them an e-mail.

And sometimes "diversity" can be a broad term. If you decide to do it (and, frankly, it's another chance to display your writing skills), frame it differently. Talk about unique experiences you have or unique viewpoints. Diversity doesn't necessarily connote physical characteristics or heritage. Talk about how you'd bring different perspectives to the program. Not belonging to a minority group shouldn't automatically preclude someone from writing a bit about their background.

• 11 months later...

Can you tell me what you ended up writing for your diversity statement?

I am applying to a UCSD PhD program and they have two optional diversity statements. One asks about challenges with adversity that you personally have faced in your academic career and the other asks about how you have/will contribute to diversity and educational equity. They don't indicate a character or word limit and they ask that it be submitted on a separate PDF.  I was raised in a middle/upper-class environment, and I am white. I know it can't hurt to submit something, so I plan to, but I am struggling with the first essay on my own challenges.

Idea for First Diversity Statement (I am having the hardest time with this one but I did struggle academically in early childhood): I struggled academically when I was younger, and the school considered holding me back in the first grade due to difficulties in reading and mathematics. I ended up pleading with my parents that I could do it and we arranged for my to attend summer school. Although I struggled in my early childhood, I learned that persistence paid off and my summers in remedial summer school classes were eventually replaced with enrichment courses. By the time I graduated from high school, I was taking mostly AP courses, including BC Calculus. (Note: This is just the idea for what I will write not the actual statement. I worry a bit about talking about learning difficulties in an application as I want to make sure they know I am capable, but I have worked very hard eventually joined the Teach for America program, then got full funding for a Masters at the University of Chicago, and I have been a researcher for the past two years). 

I am comfortable with the second diversity statement as it asks about how you how encouraged diversity in your life and plan to encourage diversity at UCSD, especially since I implemented several reforms at the school I worked at to address stereotypes threat and further integrate my special education students. My research interests are also related to equity and reducing the academic achievement gaps. With that said, I struggle with if I should write for the first essay.

Any feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hey sem - from your post it sounds like you've been working as a teacher. Is that the case? Is there something from that experience that might be worth focusing on for your 'challenge' essay. Having been a science teacher myself for the last 3 years, I know how challenging parts of that job can be! 

Just a thought. Write something that you feel confident about and you'll know best what that is.