Life after rejection

thatsAwhat

I was just wondering what do you do if you get rejected from all of your programs? I'm currently stressing so hard that I'm loosing all my hair and am constantly sick and my parents won't let me move back in with them after graduation. I just need a logical way to get to graduate school.

Stop stressing! If your applications are in, you need to let them go. I know, I know, it's absolutely harder than it sounds, but you can't let yourself get carried away. You've done your best and now it's out of your hands.

In the event you get rejected from all your programs, you take a deep breath and apply again the next year. It's not the end of the world! It gives you an extra year to work, gain experience, and make more money.

I have seen this happen in multiple occasions with my friends, having majored in a discipline where it's very tough to get into good graduate programs (Math). I think applying to a lot of "safety schools" is a good idea, although they should still be schools you don't mind attending (over stuff like getting a job or becoming a priest or something like that).

Good luck!

So sorry thatsAwhat. I am currently in graduate school but I did not get in any schools my first time around. Fortunately, an advisor I had during that time suggested I look into fellowship/post-bacc programs I could do for a year while I tried applying again. I did end up doing that, which kept me busy while I waited for another application round while also provided me with a source of income. Sometimes these programs have a stipend and you don't pay any tuition. You might want to look into those as a back-up. You could also see if any of your professors would be willing to hire you as a T.A. or an R.A. for a year.

However, on the other end, try to be optimistic!

It happens more frequently than you might think and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Though not ideal, it's not the end of the world, and you can improve your application for the following year. I struck out last year, before I knew what I was doing, but this year, I already have two interviews and it's not even app deadline for many of the programs. Just stick to it, do the best you can, and wait it out.

Remember, once the app is submitted, it's out of your hands and into theirs. It's not something you can control anyway, so why worry about it? Don't stress about something that hasn't happened; worry about later, later. 

Edited by bamafan

You keep living pretty much. Me, I haven't found a job so I'm living off my parents like a bloated tick. I sold the remainder of my things (last of my textbooks, computer components and the like) to be able to apply for this round, so no clue how I'll apply for the third round. Love making sacrifices for nothing, makes me feel alive.

• 2 weeks later...

First, you have not heard from the schools yet, so think positive. For all you know, you may get accepted! 

If by any chance you have to apply for the next season, don't get stressed. I know it's difficult not to get depressed, but keep yourself strong, find a job or an RA-ship to sustain yourself and apply the next year. Also, critically evaluate your applications to understand where you may have fallen short and what kind of strategies you need to improve your applications the next time.

Many candidates with very good records don't get in the first time, so there is no need to feel embarrassed about it.

I worry about this frequently too. I think you're in good company  :)

For me, coming up with a solid back up plan for what I'd do if I don't get in this round has made me feel much better. The waiting this time of year is killer, but it helps knowing what life will look like in six months if it doesn't all going according to plan. It's easy for me to sit here and tell you that if you don't get in this application season that it's not a reflection of who you are as a person and that its nothing to be ashamed of, but honestly, if I don't make it in to a single one of the 13 programs I applied to I'll definitely feel like crap. 

Hang in there the best you can, hope for the best, and plan for the worst. I think you'll end up better off than you think! Good luck!

I told my husband if I don't get into a program, my plan is to sleep for a year or until our savings runs out. Of course I'm mostly joking, but I'm older and not really up for another year of applying. I'll need to push myself to find a job that pays the mortgage and doesn't make me lose my will to live ...

You get a job... The mall, the grocery store, the car rental place, a restaurant, a gas station...just get a job if you can't find anything in your field to do. Then, you put your big pants/panties on and reapply the next year. Use the time to improve your GRE scores, polish your SOP and essays and maintain relationships for you LORs! It is NOT the end of the world!

Rejection isn't fun, but like everyone's been saying its not anywhere near the end of world, especially if this is your first year applying. After I got over my initial depression last year I started to think of my situation like this: my application was pretty good and I made it on the wait-list at a good program. If the wait-list had converted I would have gone to that program, but it didn't convert. NOW, I've had almost a whole year to improve my application. I think I have a good shot of getting into two or three programs and if that happens I'll get a choice of where I want to go, which wouldn't have been the case if my wait-list had converted last year. So I've had to wait a year, but I might ultimately have more say in where I spend the next seven years of my life.