Columbia's Human Rights Program

Fresh Brew

Has anyone applied to this program or considered applying to it? I was reading up on it and have heard a lot of good things. The breadth of coursework is impressive(from race and gender studies to political science and economics), and the MA can be completed in three semesters. I especially loved the fact that the GRE was not required for admittance.

Having a BA in Political Science and a desire to help others, I would love to take a flyer on it in the spring. Advice from those who have considered applying, have already applied, or who have been accepted in the past is greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Hey!

I'm interested in this MA as well and am considering applying to it next year after I finish my BA in Politics and International Relations.

Did you end up applying for it? If not what did you apply for?

I'm a bit lost in my research of the perfect Masters degree so your feedback would be great!

LSE has a solid 12 month MSc in Human Rights  and the total cost of LSE tuition + living in London is much cheaper than Columbia Tuition + Living in New York City.  I think if you're paying for an MA it's wise to consider maximizing the value of the degree while minimizing the total cost.  

Regarding the breadth of courses, the sociology department, which houses LSE's human rights program, is pretty accommodating and will let you take courses from almost any department in the university.  

Just a suggestion.

• 6 months later...

Did anyone end up applying? I am applying for Fall of 2014 and am a bit stuck on the essay portion. I'm also applying to UCL's Global Migration course, University of Kent's International Migration course and King's College's Conflict, Security and Development course. I'm hoping to focus on refugee and human trafficking issues but my experience with them is very limited to a 6 month internship resettling refugees and doing research for a project on reintegrating child soldiers. The rest of my work experience has been scattered around other international organizations and NGO's that I'm a bit afraid they will think I have no focus, when really I just wanted to try everything out and see what I was really interested in, which turns out to be refugee and internal displacement issues.

Advice anyone? Do you think they're looking for a very personal essay, or would it be like the UK where they're straightforward and want to know you have what it takes to do their course?

Thanks all

• 2 months later...

Got accepted to the HRSMA, I'm unsure I want to do it - not much statistics on post-grad employment, and let's face it, with Columbia's price tag you'd better be assured you'll get a good job afterwards.

thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...