Drop in for visit while on vacay?

huerita

Happy Saturday everyone!

I'm applying to professional master's programs in public policy/administration. At the end of January, I'm taking a short trip to the city where one of my schools is located to visit friends. I've already submitted the app, and decisions are expected in March. Would it be weird/bad form/inappropriate for me to contact them about visiting the campus at that time? This school is quite far from home, so this is my only real chance to see the campus/facilities. Or am I expected to just sit tight until I hear an admissions decision?

I initiated visits at two of the schools I've applied to, and both the visits went well.  At one of them, a professor talked to me for nearly two hours.  I met the head of their department and another professor as well.  At the other school, I met with two profs and they both asked if I had applied and wanted me to send them my CV and transcripts.  The drive was about 17 hours to get to the farther one, but I stayed with relatives nearby, so there was no hotel cost. 

Thinking back on it, I am very glad that I drove up there.  Of course, I wasn't glad during the excrutiating trip, but with luck it will be worth it.  I had emailed the profs ahead of time and scheduled visits with them about a week before I went.  I also sent thank-yous to all the people who took time out of their busy schedules to sit down with me. 

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.  I hope if you go, that the visit is positive and results in an acceptance!

Yeah, it's a good idea if you plan it ahead of time. I'm doing the same thing in a couple of weeks. I figured if I didn't visit when I was right around the area that I would regret it. I feel comfortable in interviews and want to do a little school-shopping myself. Since some of the programs I applied to don't do formal interviews, it seems like a good step to make it happen anyway.