how to respond to acceptance when waiting to hear from other schools?

iowaguy

Contact them ASAP to let them know you won't be able to attend the open house. They will save as much money as they can. The longer you wait, the less likely they are to be able to cancel.

I just emailed their graduate coordinator. Thanks for the advice Usmivka, I hope they understand :unsure:

I kind of like the idea of negotiating funding offers when you have more than one school wanting you, however I am also scared by it.  I feel like if I were to mention something that like my POI might be offended or think I'm being greedy.  I mean, it's not like I NEED the extra money, but it would definitely make life a lot more comfortable.  I just don't want to come across as greedy and ungrateful or anything like that.  Or my worse fear is that they'd be like "What, you want more money, well, then just go to the other school, pffft".  Hahaha, not that they'd really say that, but I mean, that's what plays in my head.

I kind of like the idea of negotiating funding offers when you have more than one school wanting you, however I am also scared by it.  I feel like if I were to mention something that like my POI might be offended or think I'm being greedy.  I mean, it's not like I NEED the extra money, but it would definitely make life a lot more comfortable.  I just don't want to come across as greedy and ungrateful or anything like that.  Or my worse fear is that they'd be like "What, you want more money, well, then just go to the other school, pffft".  Hahaha, not that they'd really say that, but I mean, that's what plays in my head.

The way I justify negotiating for more funding is this: money in academia is somewhat symbolic (because none of us are making enough for it to be worth anything in real world terms...).  It represents the department's commitment to you as well as proof that you can get funding, which suggests that you will be able to secure more funding in future.  As previous people suggested, talk to your mentor(s) about how to negotiate gracefully.

I can't speak for other schools, but at the UW, it was the POI's (and other grad students') suggestion to hold out for the better offers. You don't have to give an ultimatum (which could result in your fears being confirmed), but it doesn't hurt to ask about how flexible their funding is.

When I received the very type of phone call that was mentioned in the post tat started this thread, my POI told me not to feel pressured to make a decision right away, and that if I told him then and there I was going to that school, he wouldn't believe me. I think the vast majority of faculty are going to be used to this process and expect students to take time to be sure, so it's not rude to think things through. It's a major life decision, after all!

Hi, I have a quick question. I've just been accepted to one school and their visiting day is in early March. Does anyone know whether attending the welcome visit will be taken as an acceptance of their offer?

I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Visiting the school gives them a chance to "woo" you and to see if it would be a good fit for you.  Be careful in your conversations not to imply that you will go there, but attending the visiting day does not at all indicate acceptance of their offer.  It does mean you are seriously considering it.  I am attending one school's visiting day that I have been informally accepted to.  Until I hear from other schools and complete my visits/interviews (will have done 3 others before this visiting day), I am not going to make up my mind about where to go.  The professors will understand that, because it is the default/expected situation.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Visiting the school gives them a chance to "woo" you and to see if it would be a good fit for you.  Be careful in your conversations not to imply that you will go there, but attending the visiting day does not at all indicate acceptance of their offer.  It does mean you are seriously considering it.  I am attending one school's visiting day that I have been informally accepted to.  Until I hear from other schools and complete my visits/interviews (will have done 3 others before this visiting day), I am not going to make up my mind about where to go.  The professors will understand that, because it is the default/expected situation.

I agree with this sentiment. I have scheduled two visiting weekends so far, and am hoping to get a visit for every school I'm accepted to. When I was scheduling the second visit, I mentioned my first visit to my POI and he thought nothing of it.