Urgent Request: Addressing Black Marks in One's Record

Many moons ago, my first post on gradcafe was to figure out if it's worth applying to master of public policy/international affairs programs despite the fact that I failed a class during undergrad (a big aberration on an overall decent transcript). After receiving some kind encouragement from fellow forumites, I decided to go ahead with the application process, and now I'm at the point where I need to address the failing grade in a supplemental essay. I would really appreciate if someone were willing to look over what I've written. I don't want to post it for public view, so please send me a private message, or post here so that I can send you a private message, if you're willing to help me out. Unfortunately, I've left this to the last-minute (largely due to my anxiety on the matter), so if someone could message me sometime today or tomorrow I'd really appreciate it!

In return, I'd be more than happy to review any statements of purpose/supplemental essays/CVs, etc. I'm a pretty good editor.

Also, if any of you has general advice re: addessing black marks in one's record, feel free to post below! (I'm particularly interested in those who have done so and then been admitted - the dream!)

Thank you in advance.

How long ago was the class? I started my undergrad at a university, got horrible grades, went to community college over several years, then finished my BA and went on to earn an MA. I didn't address the poor grades on either my MA app (which was successful) or by PhD app (still waiting!) because it was so long ago and my grades ever since are good. You might be able to get away without explaining one failed class if it was several years ago. If that's not helpful, I'd be happy to look over your SoP if you want to PM me. (Disclaimer: I know nothing about your field, but I'm willing to help however I can.)

It was several years ago, but it's not like it was decades, unfortunately. In most of my apps, I have avoided addressing it so as to not draw attention. But the one I'm working on right now specifically requests an explanation for any failing grade. I'm not going to include anything about it in my SOP, just a brief explanation of the grade where specifically prompted: I'm trying to keep it concise. 

I will send you what I have in a PM. I appreciate any suggestions you might have about tone/content, etc. Thank you so much!

I'm curious about this  as well considering that I have several black marks on my transcript. But, that was eight years ago.

That's about how old mine were. A bunch of Ws, a couple Ds, etc. I didn't address them because they were so old and I did well after I earned those marks. I think unless there's a spot on your app that specifically asks you to address them, I wouldn't mention them. 

I am in a similar situation. My poor coursework was done from 2002-2003/4. I took a break from school from 2004 to 2007 when I resumed full time school. From 2007 onward, I maintained mostly straight As with an occasional B+. I am wondering if I need to explain my immarture "bout" with school directly out of high school? Slightly older now, at 28, I am also married with two small children. I am not sure whether that should be a part of my explanation, either! Eek!