Living environment for good respiration

comp12

I fortunately live in a city with good climate and relatively free of pollution, but I do have some respiratory issues stemming from a combination of allergies, asthma, and deviated septum. I spend a lot of time indoors in my apartment, so I'm wondering what are some good practices for keeping air clean inside a bedroom?

I've heard that getting a plant (that Im not allergic too, obviously!) might help. Is this true, and what kind/how big would be best? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard bamboo is a good plant for cleaning the air, and they are very easy to take care of. I got the stalks at a store in the mall called Earth Bound and planted them in glass stones in bowls. All you have to do is water them with non-chlorinated water.

I've purchased one air purifier and one humidifier from www.allergybuyersclub.com and liked their customer service and rating system. Amazon.com may have better prices, though.

Best of luck-

I would also avoid carpeting if possible or vacuum on a *very* regular basis. I didn't have allergies before, but at the end of 2 years with carpeting (even though I vacuumed once every 1-2 weeks) I was chronically sniffing and had trouble with my sinuses. That can't be good for allergy sufferers.

In terms of plants to help keep air clean, spider plants(common houseplant) are the best. Having 8 or so in a house can significantly improve air quality. Learned it in my botany classes but I'm sure there's research about it somewhere online.

Any non-blooming houseplant will help. Just check the care tag, and it should say whether it will bloom or not. Try for something with lots of foliage (i.e. not desert plants); as suggested, a spider plant would be good. Just remember to occasionally put the whole thing in the sink and gently rinse it off, as the leaves will collect dust, which is bad for both you and the plant.

Make sure that you vacuum regularly, and keep the filter in your vacuum clean, as well as any brush bar on the bottom.

Dust with dust-trapping items like Swiffers, but wear a dust mask while doing so.

An air purifier is a great idea, like the others said, if you can afford it.