Major GPA v. Overall GPA???

Sylvia0713

Hi! Everyone. So up to now I have already applied to four schools, and three more to go. But my overall GPA (3.5) is much higher than my major GPA (3.1~)..... I know it is completely irrational, but this issue has been troubling me and I can not completely focus myself on the application as I am getting increasingly worried. 

Does anyone has any insights into this situation. Two out of the four schools I have applied asked specifically my major GPA, and these two are my top preferences.  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Any ideas/insight would be appreciated. 

Sometimes schools care more about your program GPA than your overall GPA. However, I've heard that your grades in your last 60 credits (when you're in undergrad) are nearly as important. I'm assuming this is partly because you will also be taking many upper-level major classes during your last two years.

I agree that whether you're aiming for a master's or a PhD program - and what it's in! - is also relevant.

Thanks ridofme and RubyBright. I am applying for master's degree for the same major as my undergraduate. My last 60 credits GPA is ok... Around 3.5... And my grades for the upper level major classes are much better than the lower level. 

Around 3.5... And my grades for the upper level major classes are much better than the lower level. 

A 3.5 accompanied by an upward trend is really good. To emphasize the trend, you could write "Junior/Senior GPA: 3.xx" on your CV next to your overall GPA.