2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

Hey all,

The Ph.D applicants have had their discussion going for some time, so I figured its about time for the M*s to have some fun.

I'm interested in Historical Theology, particularly medieval theology and the Franciscans.

I'm applying to:

Yale Divinity

Princeton Theological

Chicago Divinity

Harvard Divinity

Notre Dame

Fordham

St. Louis

Boston College

GTU

Applying to M.A. Programs, concentrating in history of Buddhism and cross-cultural analysis of monastic history and cultures.

-IU Bloomington

-CU Boulder

-UNM Albuquerque (M.A. Philosophy)

-CSU Long Beach

-Missouri State U (already accepted)

I'm interested in historical and political theology. I am specifically interested in the intersections of theology, warfare, and pacifism.

I've applied to Vanderbilt, Duke and Lipscomb.

Josh

Edited by Josh J.

I applied to Boston College, Fordham, and Seton Hall. So far, I've only gotten a response from Seton Hall, which accepted me. I'm interested primarily in ecclesiology, ecumenism, and Christian anarchism. I'm looking for that fancy midpoint in a triangle where the points are John Paul II, Dorothy Day, and Carlo Martini.

No, everything has been going really smoothly, and what issues I have had I've hammered out very quickly with the admissions staff. I've been in regular contact with the admissions office regarding my application; I don't know if you have, but I've found them to be of immense help. Have you been in touch with them?

I had a major issue with a recommender getting their recommendation in at HDS. We had to have someone from Harvard's technical department manually upload it, but only after much irritation and much wasted time. After quite alot of emails, my application to HDS is finally complete as of yesterday. I'm only applying to YDS for the MAR at this point, in addition to the MTS program. Plus a liberal arts program at Georgetown. I'm not quite sure how people can find the energy to apply to more than 5 schools. It's such an ordeal :P

Finally got the last piece of my Boston College application in. So now, I'm waiting for responses from Fordham and BC; I'm consciously optimistic about Boston, whereas I'll be fairly surprised if I get into Fordham. I'm not sure why.

has anyone had any issues with the financial aid application for HDS? Whenever I click on Begin the Application for HDS Financial AId, the screen just blinks and nothing happens. I've tried this on Firefox on a Macbook and Internet Explorer with a PC and it does the same thing. Both are the recommended programs. I tried with Chrome and the same effect. I turned off the pop up blockers, restarted the browsers and ditto. Nevermind, it's likely this silly macbook. For some reason it's not supported for FA on Harvard's application software.

Edited by unacclimated

therewllbeluke, what sort of writing sample did you include for YDS? I decided to submit a presentation paper on Hegel's essay Natural Law. I chose it because it was both a complete well-thought out discussion of Natural Law and because it came in at the appropriate length YDS requires. Congrats on PTS btw.

unacclimated, thank you! I used a portion of my senior thesis, which explored medieval Cistercian and Franciscan ideas about the natural world through the lens of their conceptions of the religious life. I used one section of it and then had a paragraph at the beginning explaining its context within the paper.

Hi-

I have been really helped by this forum so I'm posting my news, though I worry that these kinds of posts sometimes generate unnecessary anxiety.

Applied to Candler for the MDiv on January 15th. Was notified by phone today of acceptance. *hooray*