2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

can someone tell me the strong points (and weak points) of vandy m.div?

Like everywhere, the Vandy MDiv/MTS has its strengths and weaknesses. I graduated with an MTS last year, with hopes of applying to PhDs, and had a relatively successful response. My focus was on theology, contemporary philosophy of religion, and pastoral care/pastoral psychotherapy. 

Vandy is definitely pretty strong in biblical studies, theology, ethics, pastoral care, and homiletics. As with anywhere, Vanderbilt has a particular flavor in each of these fields. Maybe one of the most overlooked aspect of the Vandy masters programs is that the faculty is grouped in eight different subfields, which is more than a lot of places. The effect on Mdiv students is a very diverse and comprehensive training. This is frustrating for some people certainly (i.e. - those knowing what they want to specialize in), but for most of those people the MTS is a better idea, because it is essentially 75% electives.

The broad characterization of Vanderbilt is that it is informed my a progressive, older liberal model of theological education and scholarship. As an insider I can say that this is partially an appropriate description, but has limitations. Especially in theology, there are serious traces of the Peter Hodgson (prominent Hegel scholar) and Sallie McFague (feminist and metaphorical theologian) tradition. That is, Vanderbilt is still investing in progressive theological education, and has recently received a lot of money to invest in training people in "Practical Theology," but there is definitely room for growth and development still--especially in thinking more critically about the progressive theological project itself. My experience is many of the cutting edge religion programs face similar challenges. And, this is surely an unending task: redefining and reforming theological education.

And, no joke, Nashville is truly amazing. Small city feel, but very culturally rich (think innovative coffee house, brewery, ethnic cuisine, biker friendly scene). A very weird blend of hipster and southern sensibilities, which is pretty palatable for most people (I'm originally from the North).

Officially going to PTS! Very excited. Anyone else made a decision yet?

Awesome!

I'm still on the fence between PTS and Yale.

Thinking I might visit both within the next couple weeks.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to Vanderbilt. Visited today and met with my POI, and it seems like an excellent fit. My wife also interviewed today at the medical center for a nursing position. She is the only hitch, she has to get her first nursing job before I can quit my career and we can move.

i think vandy is truly a wonderful place. you are very lucky! who is your POI if i may ask. i visited a few weeks ago and spoke with some wonderful people

I'll pm you.

Still deciding between Duke MDiv and Yale MDiv. I am about 90% one way but waiting to decide until after YDS Admitted Students Day.

I am in the exact same boat! I thought I was mentally decided, but then I decided to visit both and discern further.  I went to Duke March 22 and LOVED it; I will be at Yale's Admitted Students Day April 10 and we shall see!

I am in the exact same boat! I thought I was mentally decided, but then I decided to visit both and discern further.  I went to Duke March 22 and LOVED it; I will be at Yale's Admitted Students Day April 10 and we shall see!

I'll be in at YDS on Apr. 10 too. Look forward to meeting you!

I've pretty much decided I'm going to Vanderbilt, but I've got to say, I'm still a little bit annoyed that I STILL haven't received a financial aid letter from Duke.......