2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

Damn. Oh well. We press on.

Do you have other options LauraR?

Some job options, but no MTSes. I was an idiot, looked at Notre Dame's average GREs and GPAs for the MTS program, and thought, "Hey, this could happen." And I really didn't want to go anywhere else.

So, in sum, I am an idiot.

Some job options, but no MTSes. I was an idiot, looked at Notre Dame's average GREs and GPAs for the MTS program, and thought, "Hey, this could happen." And I really didn't want to go anywhere else.

So, in sum, I am an idiot.

I'm sorry to hear that. There is always next year! Every year is different it seems, and another year to strengthen your application couldn't hurt.

Well, this all means I didn't get in either, but... oh well. ND would have been great (especially with the full funding) but honestly, YDS is a very good fit for me. Plus I'm tired of this whole waiting thing anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and just accept Yale's offer of admission. It's so nice to know that now.

I'm still kind of shocked and ecstatic about Yale, and I'm really excited and so blessed! Maybe I'll be seeing some of you there next year.

Blessings and best wishes to all!

Has anyone received their official letters of acceptance by postal mail yet? I received my first acceptance via email about three weeks ago and still no post mail from anyone.

I got my Vandy one a couple days after the email. Still waiting on Duke's to arrive. Really hoping for today....

Thanks Josh J.

I spoke with an admissions faculty member at Duke via email who said that all MTS scholarships have been awarded and the recipients notified at this time.

That's for the merit (full ride) scholarships right? I think pretty much everyone else can still expect the 22%...?

That's for the merit (full ride) scholarships right? I think pretty much everyone else can still expect the 22%...?

Correct.

I am having a difficult time deciding between YDS MARc and Duke MTS.

Edited by taycross

Correct.

I still totally support the MARc...having talked to a lot of MTS students here, there just seems to be too many requirements. 

Correct.

Well, will you get the 22% or did you get one of those full scholarships...? Duke started out being my Number 1, and has been for years--I'm very much out of a postliberal kind of framework, and I'm an anabaptist. Hauerwas, Hays, all those guys are incredible. I'm also interested in systems of power and domination, and resistance thereto, and the younger faculty like Profs. Rowe and Portier-Young have done some great work that's kind of close to what I'd like to do (or think I'd like to do). But... I think the Yale concentrated program is a little more rigorous, and definitely more focused, and might be better PhD prep than Duke's MTS. Plus, I'm interested in apocalyptic lit and, well, John and Adela Collins would be great POIs. (BTW, thanks for getting that convo started on FB... reading those posts is really interesting!)

So, I can relate to the difficulty--but I do think Yale's MARc program might be a little better PhD prep... And 50% funding is better than 22%, which is an issue for me with my already tens of thousands of undergraduate debt : P

The current policy is that you can take no more than half of you classes outside HDS in a given semester. So if you are taking 4 courses, you can take 2 outside courses; if 5, still 2. Most of the time one doesn't want to take 6 classes in one semester and the registrar does not normally allow this. So the maximum is 2 outside courses per semester. 

Here outside courses refer to courses which do not have an HDS course number at all. If it's jointly offered, you can still count it towards your HDS course and take other outside courses. 

You have to take a minimum of 6 within area courses, 4 outside of area HDS courses to fulfill the degree requirement, besides meeting language requirements. The other 6-10 courses can be whatever you want, as long as it doesn't violate the rule explained in the first paragraph. 

Wow, this is wonderful! So, could I take a class that is totally unrelated to religion and still use it towards my degree? Are all divinity schools this liberal when it comes to taking outside classes? Is it complicated to register and get accepted to a class at for example the KSG?

So I emailed Duke and asked for admissions details since I'm leaving town and still haven't received a letter. They emailed me my letter, but it says nothing about merit aid whatsoever.

Does that mean I am not even getting 22%?

Applying to M.A. Programs, concentrating in history of Buddhism and cross-cultural analysis of monastic history and cultures.

-IU Bloomington

-CU Boulder

-UNM Albuquerque (M.A. Philosophy)

-CSU Long Beach

-Missouri State U (already accepted)

Please have an awesome time at CUBoulder--I was accepted, but am turning it down (for HDS or Chicago--not a bad choice, I think), and am actually pretty sad about it. I love that school, and everyone there is amazing.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

So I emailed Duke and asked for admissions details since I'm leaving town and still haven't received a letter. They emailed me my letter, but it says nothing about merit aid whatsoever.

Does that mean I am not even getting 22%?

I don't know, but when I asked the person who called me, they said it would be sent later, and that I could pretty much expect 22%. So, I wouldn't worry about that--it sounds like the financial aid info will be sent completely separately.

Where are you leaning as far as Duke vs. Vanderbilt?

I'm leaning towards Vanderbilt. It seems to be a bit of a better fit, they are offering more funding than Duke typically does, and my religion professor's advisor is starting there next fall.

I'm leaning towards Vanderbilt. It seems to be a bit of a better fit, they are offering more funding than Duke typically does, and my religion professor's advisor is starting there next fall.

Sounds like a great fit. I think I saw somewhere you said you're at Warner Pacific? I have a friend from church who works there. Small world (or small city, I guess!).

Best of luck man.

I'm graduating from Candler's mdiv program this year and was accepted to BC's ThM program. I was wondering if anyone who applied to BC this year was told what portion of their classes could be taken in the theology department rather than the STM.

Same here...

Finally got my paper letter for Duke. No word of funding here either, I would expect that to come later. I will be turning it down though.

But on the Notre Dame front, I logged into my application and it now has my rejection letter up. So at least that's officially done now!