2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

Congrats! By UTS, you mean Union...? I was accepted, but it was MAR in NT. I also got into Yale's concentrate in Bible, and if I get good enough funding there, or get into ND, I'll be turning down Union's offer, which was full tuition for 2 years. But I have to tell Union yea or nay by Friday... so I'm getting just a little bit anxious : / If I don't get good enough funding from Yale, and if I don't get in to ND, I'll likely be going to Union with that offer.

Yeah, Union.  I've seen it commonly referred to as UTS to distinguish it from other Unions (e.g. Union Presbyterian Seminary).

My impression is that the YDS applicants, or at least the MDivs, are supposed to hear back about aid by Friday.  Best of luck!  Yale's response will also help me determine how seriously I'm considering Union.

Congrats! Those are the two I've been admitted to so far... what concentration did you apply for?

Thanks! For Union - Interreligious Dialogue.  For Yale - Asian Religions.  On the Yale front, they called me and said that the Asian Religions faculty wasn't sure I had the full prep for that concentration so they admitted me into the comprehensive M.A.R. but said I could transfer to the Asian Religions concentration after a semester of coursework - which was fine with me! 

What concentrations did you apply for?  Do you know where you going?

Thanks! For Union - Interreligious Dialogue.  For Yale - Asian Religions.  On the Yale front, they called me and said that the Asian Religions faculty wasn't sure I had the full prep for that concentration so they admitted me into the comprehensive M.A.R. but said I could transfer to the Asian Religions concentration after a semester of coursework - which was fine with me! 

What concentrations did you apply for?  Do you know where you going?

I applied for the concentration in Bible at yale, and NT at Union. I don't know where I'm going--funding will be a big deal for me (already have plenty of student loan debt...). I would love to be going to Union with a full scholarship if that's where I end up, but I would definitely choose Notre Dame if i get in or Yale if they offer me comparable funding. Guess I'll have a better idea on Friday.

Until then, the wait is killing me!

Edited by ttgannett

Yeah, Union.  I've seen it commonly referred to as UTS to distinguish it from other Unions (e.g. Union Presbyterian Seminary).

My impression is that the YDS applicants, or at least the MDivs, are supposed to hear back about aid by Friday.  Best of luck!  Yale's response will also help me determine how seriously I'm considering Union.

Best of luck to you as well! Yeah, my email from them said funding info would come through on Friday.

I got in to HDS!!! I'm so happy right now! This is a dream come true for sure! Tomorrow is the big day though since admitted students will hear about funding. I keep my fingers crossed.

By the way, can I assume that I got into the concentration I applied for?

I just learned that HDS isn't offering me any sort of scholarship, so it's off the list.  Fingers crossed that everyone else on here who received an email got more exciting news than that!

I just learned that HDS isn't offering me any sort of scholarship, so it's off the list.  Fingers crossed that everyone else on here who received an email got more exciting news than that!

I'm sorry to hear that. Still nice to be able to say that you got in though! Is anyone else offering you money?

It's always disheartening to find out that your top school isn't offering you enough money...I was so elated when I heard from HDS yesterday too. Whomp.

Does anyone know whether it's standard practice to ask for more when it comes to HDS, and/or to leverage other schools' offers against theirs? I feel like there are rules to this kind of thing that I just don't know, know what I mean? 

Hope others got better news about that whole pesky funding situation!

It's always disheartening to find out that your top school isn't offering you enough money...I was so elated when I heard from HDS yesterday too. Whomp.

Does anyone know whether it's standard practice to ask for more when it comes to HDS, and/or to leverage other schools' offers against theirs? I feel like there are rules to this kind of thing that I just don't know, know what I mean? 

Did HDS not offer you anything either?

I did ask them 2 years ago but it didn't help. 

Got 75% percent tuition to HDS... 100% at BC seems more attractive at this point

Strange that even HDS is feeling the recession. I had a couple friends at BC who gladly denied at HDS/YDS because more money was offered at BC. Though, if the fit is better it may be worth it to go wherever, as long as the debt isn't crushing.

Also, if you do end up not going to HDS, but another BTI school, you can quite easily take up to 50% of your courses at any of the Boston schools (includes of course HDS).

Edited by jdmhotness

Do you mind my asking how you ended up being able to go?

Two years ago it seemed that they had more funding for MTS students. Most of the people I know here have full tuition+around $10000 stipend. I was encouraged to ask for more by a friend on that basis, so although they didn't add anything to that, it was already pretty good. It's strange that HDS is offering less and less in the past two years. It seems that full tuition is already quite rare. If I recall correctly I saw many tuition+stipend reports on Result Search in 2011. 

Congrats to everyone everywhere - Duke, Harvard, ND, BC, ABCDEFG....! I also received acceptance to Harvard with 50% scholarship.... Yale's financial aid comes out tomorrow (YIKES!), so I will decide between:

Duke (no scholarship, though I was implored to wait out the second round)

Yale (no news til tomorrow)

Harvard (50% tuition)

Vanderbilt (80% tuition)

Big things happening for all of us!

Edited by ForTheGreaterGloryOfDog

Cris: first, congratulations! That's awesome.

I just got a call too--accepted! Very excited, and Duke would be by far the best fit for me... but I'm probably going elsewhere, unless I get a big surprise funding offer from them. I've heard it's generally a 22% funding offer for MTS.

Edited by ttgannett