2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

It is odd that none of us here even got wait-listed. What the hell?

Especially given the fact that a number of us were accepted to YDS' MARc and Duke's MTS. I know these aren't as competitive as ND's MTS, but they are pretty selective.

Edited by taycross

This was for the MTS. I didn't feel to bad at all about the ECS - I know how competative that is. And yeah, the MTS is, too (200+ applicants), but seriously? I couldn't even get into the MTS program?  Sheesh.

I know when I applied (2 years ago), that ND took only 20 students into the MTS program. It's a pretty small program. The numbers may be even smaller than two  years ago...

While the above post is what was told me through our phone conversation, I received another email saying "We have already made our offers of admission and contacted those on the waitlist.  However, we have not sent out official letters declining admission until we have set our class; but we do not expect to have to go beyond those already contacted."  So I called them and they said that yes, they have already contacted those accepted and those on the waitlist. ...  :unsure:

They set a class before sending out rejections? It sounds like if you're accepted, you get an offer you can't refuse.

Duke's MTS, I think, is just as competitive. They get a lot of applicants and roughly take around 20 a year (same as ND).

Regarding the ECS: when I visited last year it seemed like most of their applicants were heavily interested in classics, and thus many of their applicants had very strong backgrounds in Greek/Latin/Classical Civ/Arch. 

Also, ND's MTS seems to just take a lot more Catholic applicants. And honestly there are WAY more Protestants on this forum than anything else. Perhaps that is why way more were offered spots at Duke? Funny story that might make you feel worse/better: a close friend that I did my MTS with at BC applied the day of the deadline for ND's MTS (her second MTS). She wrote her personal statement that day at a bar over xmas break while having a few cold ones. Oh and she got in and is currently a student there....It truly is a shit-show out there. 

Yes, back when I applied, Notre Dame took only 20 students per year for the MTS and put another 20 on the wait-list. I think the preference is not so much for Catholic applicants, but applicants from Catholic schools. I've known of a couple Jewish students from Catholic undergrads who got offers from Notre Dame. They do give everyone free funding. When I turned them down, they offered a stipend but said they couldn't match other offers I'd received because the cost of living is cheaper in Indiana. That being said, I've heard Notre Dame has become increasingly conservative in recent years (and is a much more conservative environment than Fordham, Georgetown, and BC), so probably not the best fit for some of our theological interests. 

Yes, back when I applied, Notre Dame took only 20 students per year for the MTS and put another 20 on the wait-list. I think the preference is not so much for Catholic applicants, but applicants from Catholic schools. I've known of a couple Jewish students from Catholic undergrads who got offers from Notre Dame. They do give everyone free funding. When I turned them down, they offered a stipend but said they couldn't match other offers I'd received because the cost of living is cheaper in Indiana. That being said, I've heard Notre Dame has become increasingly conservative in recent years (and is a much more conservative environment than Fordham, Georgetown, and BC), so probably not the best fit for some of our theological interests. 

I can confirm this. The person I referenced earlier went to Jesuit schools for UG and masters. I did too, but it didn't help me (though I have never applied to the MTS, only ECS)!

*edit* - Also, I can confirm recent reports of ND being a lot more conservative, at least in recent years. Two friends from BC are there now (one a close friend); both have told me it is WAY more conservative than BC. Take that how you will. 

Edited by jdmhotness

The whole process is absurdly subjective it seems, for every school.

Would y'all say the YDS MARc is as good of a program as the Duke or ND MTS?

The MARc, I think, is the best (if not one of the best) masters in religion. Almost every other M* degree in theology/religion will require you take a bunch of 'fluff.' The fact that they do not speaks a lot for the degree. In fact, the only other degree that doesn't require you take all the extra requirements is Duke's MA (please, others correct me if I am wrong). 

Edited by jdmhotness

Is it worth asking YDS for more funding? I received 50%, but would love some more given undergrad loan debt and such. What is the success rate for this kind of thing? Can it hurt to ask?

Is it worth asking YDS for more funding? I received 50%, but would love some more given undergrad loan debt and such. What is the success rate for this kind of thing? Can it hurt to ask?

I sent an email after my acceptance asking for more and the person said that they don't anticipate being able to since they've overextended themselves with aid.

Hey everyone, a longtime (2+ years) lurker here with a question.

Anyone know about Duke's policy on deferral for the MTS?  I really would love to go to but I just haven't been able to scrape together the funding for it. 

I feel like I should say something to this, and -- just by taking a quick mental tally -- I'd estimate that at least 2/3 of the students my year were not coming from Catholic undergrads.

The student body runs conservative, but the theology professors fall on more of a spectrum.

I know, it seems bizarre to me too. But if the folks around here are to be trusted, it sounds like some people have known for weeks and they just send rejections out long after acceptances. I've never heard of a school doing that.

I know, it seems bizarre to me too. But if the folks around here are to be trusted, it sounds like some people have known for weeks and they just send rejections out long after acceptances. I've never heard of a school doing that.

Well I for one certainly hope that I am wrong. And that the email from the MTS department was wrong. And then the phone conversation about that email was wrong. I certainly hope so... but I'm not holding my breath. 

Also... before any of ya'll scratch them off the list for sure, I wouldn't be completely dependent on what I found out. I s'pose we really just need to wait for official word before we officially know. Or someone else could try and verify...

Edited by toby42

Well I for one certainly hope that I am wrong. And that the email from the MTS department was wrong. And then the phone conversation about that email was wrong. I certainly hope so... but I'm not holding my breath. 

Also... before any of ya'll scratch them off the list for sure, I wouldn't be completely dependent on what I found out. I s'pose we really just need to wait for official word before we officially know. Or someone else could try and verify...

I called and left a message. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

Do any current MTS students at HDS have any experience with taking classes outside HDS such as at KSG or HLS? IS this at all possible and how many classes not related to religion can one take? Thanks!

Do any current MTS students at HDS have any experience with taking classes outside HDS such as at KSG or HLS? IS this at all possible and how many classes not related to religion can one take? Thanks!

HDS students can take classes at any of the Harvard schools. There really isn't a limit on how much you can cross-register. However, whether or not the course counts toward your divinity school requirements is up to the registrar. Many courses are already cross-listed between HDS and another school, but sometimes you can make a case for something not cross-listed to count. 

The current policy is that you can take no more than half of you classes outside HDS in a given semester. So if you are taking 4 courses, you can take 2 outside courses; if 5, still 2. Most of the time one doesn't want to take 6 classes in one semester and the registrar does not normally allow this. So the maximum is 2 outside courses per semester. 

Here outside courses refer to courses which do not have an HDS course number at all. If it's jointly offered, you can still count it towards your HDS course and take other outside courses. 

You have to take a minimum of 6 within area courses, 4 outside of area HDS courses to fulfill the degree requirement, besides meeting language requirements. The other 6-10 courses can be whatever you want, as long as it doesn't violate the rule explained in the first paragraph.