2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

Well, unless they're going to do some rapid fire calling in the next 40 minutes, I'd say we'll hear next week.

Unless of course, none of us have been accepted and they've already called the admitted students.

Accepted to YDS today as well. Visited PTS today and loved it, down to PTS and BC pretty much (not really gonna bother with ND or GTU)

Congrats!

Anyone have any success asking for more at YDS? I got 50% but would love full...

I got the same deal and sent an email, pretty straighforward "No"

Got 100% tuition at HDS, but only for the first year it seems. Is this typical or will it be automatically renewed for the second year? I'm so grateful for my offer but was hoping to get a little bit more. Does anyone know of any good scholarships that foreign citizens could apply for? I'm thinking of smaller ones that can help cover the cost of books and various fees. 

Completely writing off YDS? If so, why?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like an easy decision. Yale's MARc is better than almost any other degree because it lets you take exactly the courses you need to 'ensure' a spot in a doctoral program. Even if I had to take more debt on I would consider it over against any other (reasonable debt, I should note!).

Completely writing off YDS? If so, why?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like an easy decision. Yale's MARc is better than almost any other degree because it lets you take exactly the courses you need to 'ensure' a spot in a doctoral program. Even if I had to take more debt on I would consider it over against any other (reasonable debt, I should note!).

Well with YDS and the other schools it would be the difference between paying $13,500 in tuition or paying $0 in tuition. Considering my finances its an easy decision.

Well with YDS and the other schools it would be the difference between paying $13,500 in tuition or paying $0 in tuition. Considering my finances its an easy decision.

You are a stronger person than I. Perhaps I should be rooting for you to attend my alma....so yes, go to BC instead...YDS sucks... :)

I also received 50% from YDS. I was pretty disappointed considering I made a pittance last year (I really needed this aid) and in previous years 80% aid was pretty standard. OH WELL. I will be accepting and have to remember that I'm *choosing* it over two awesome offers (Candler full scholarship and Duke 75% with cheaper tuition and cost of living and higher paid internships). :/

Got 100% tuition at HDS, but only for the first year it seems. Is this typical or will it be automatically renewed for the second year? I'm so grateful for my offer but was hoping to get a little bit more. Does anyone know of any good scholarships that foreign citizens could apply for? I'm thinking of smaller ones that can help cover the cost of books and various fees. 

You will need to reapply next year but they'll pretty much guarantee second-year grants. 

To let ya'll know, I'll be bugging them tomorrow. I have an excuse, so I will also 'happen' to see what I can find out about timing of MTS decisions.

We will await your report from the frontline. Godspeed. 

Ok... so the word is that we should hear 'sometime in the next week.' :mellow:  Not too specific at all, but I didn't want to be too much of a nuisance. But in our conversation (which centered on something else, so this was a bit ancillary), I gathered that it seems they are still arduously reviewing the applications. 

On a side note (and I don't think I know of anyone else who applied to it), the MA in ECS decisions have been made and are being sent out as we speak.

While the above post is what was told me through our phone conversation, I received another email saying "We have already made our offers of admission and contacted those on the waitlist.  However, we have not sent out official letters declining admission until we have set our class; but we do not expect to have to go beyond those already contacted."  So I called them and they said that yes, they have already contacted those accepted and those on the waitlist. ...  :unsure: 

Edited by toby42

I must say, though, that I am amazed (/skeptical?) that no one else on this thread got accepted... ?? *Shrug*

Edited by toby42

While the above post is what was told me through our phone conversation, I received another email saying "We have already made our offers of admission and contacted those on the waitlist.  However, we have not sent out official letters declining admission until we have set our class; but we do not expect to have to go beyond those already contacted."  So I called them and they said that yes, they have already contacted those accepted and those on the waitlist. ...  :unsure:

Don't feel too bad. I also was rejected from the ECS. They take like 2 people a year, out of several dozen applicants. It actually is as competitive as doctoral apps, I think. It all seems to be a bit of a shit-show. 

Don't feel too bad. I also was rejected from the ECS. They take like 2 people a year, out of several dozen applicants. It actually is as competitive as doctoral apps, I think. It all seems to be a bit of a shit-show. 

This was for the MTS. I didn't feel to bad at all about the ECS - I know how competative that is. And yeah, the MTS is, too (200+ applicants), but seriously? I couldn't even get into the MTS program?  Sheesh.

Edited by toby42